Redress Scoring

A protest committee has granted redress to a boat because of mis-communication of the finish position. Because the boat had a substantial lead at the mark prior to the altered finish mark it was awarded a first place. The boat was scored RDG with one point assigned. The resulting scores entered correctly and were not changed in accordance with A6.2. The ensuing positions , however, were changed in the rank column and a number of changes I made to the Scoring Tab had no effect. The rank value could also not be overridden manually. Can someone please help me set this up properly?

I am new to this forum and hope that the following graphic will come through.

Dick

Dick,

I am wondering what you think the places(rank) column should show? Should the "RDG" boat be shown in their actual finishing position (say 6th) but with the redress score of 1 point OR should the "RDG" boat be shown in some other position and if so, what position?

The boat that had the 2nd finishing position is officially the third highest scorer in the race so "3rd" in the places(rank) column seems right since that is their actual place or "rank" (with two boats scoring better they in fact are the third highest scoring boat). Now maybe this is an issue as to who should get what trophy. If a boat gets redress that puts them into a trophy position then I think they are entitled to that trophy. For the race at issue that would mean the two boats with 1 point should probably both get 1st-place trophies and the next boat (with two points) should get a 3rd place trophy.

The ranking issue seems similar to the case where you have a race or series tie - in which case there would be two 1sts and no 3rd, just like shown in your screenshot.

On my older version (2.02 build5) the places are changed to strict rankings whenever I score. I can edit the places(rankings) cells after I score but my changes are ignored when I publish. I can put places into a new column (say Tally) but that means editing one cell for every boat. I was able to automate what I think you want though. Under Tools|Set Competitor Field I assigned a number to the Tally column based on the Place(Rank). Then I could go through and change the Tally cells for just the one class I wanted to change. Then, I could hide the Places(Rank) column and rename the Tally column. I get numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) instead of text (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) but that might be a reasonable compromise to get what you want [but I kind of question what you want and why].

Art

ยทยทยท

On 7/15/2011 1:40 PM, Dick (USSA) wrote:

A protest committee has granted redress to a boat because of
mis-communication of the finish position. Because the boat had a
substantial lead at the mark prior to the altered finish mark it was awarded
a first place. The boat was scored RDG with one point assigned. The
resulting scores entered correctly and were not changed in accordance with
A6.2. The ensuing positions , however, were changed in the rank column and
a number of changes I made to the Scoring Tab had no effect. The rank value
could also not be overridden manually. Can someone please help me set this
up properly?