Revising competitor data in multiple files

Has anyone found a way from within Sailwave to revise the competitor data in multiple existing Sailwave files without manually editing the data in each file? For example, we have a dozen or more race files generated during the season, and each file stores the competitor data used by it. For us, the competitors come from the same list of boats. I would like to update, say the various crew names and addresses, once and then somehow merge the newly revised information into each of the already existing files. Has anyone found a way to do this from within Sailwave?

I’m curious - why would you want to update the old files?
How would you know which one to update if you have a name that doesn’t match exactly?

If you update them with different boat details or Sail numbers then it is not going to score correctly

···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon,

I would just want to overwrite the old “crew” name with the new name. We don’t encounter the issues you bring up. Mostly the same boats with the same crew every week. FYI, our fleet has settled on bow numbers as the unique boat ID (although for some strange reason we have both a bow number 3 and an 03).

In my case, I am trying to enhance this year’s previously published results by adding the crew names. (At some point, I would like to do this for the two prior years’ results, as well.) After looking at a couple alternatives for doing this, I settled on listing all the boat’s crew’s names in the “Owner Name” field (with an html
tag between names) and publishing the Owner column. I did look at the column formatting scheme you have to pull data from multiple columns, which is pretty slick, but I could not find a way to avoid having a blank line whenever a crewman was unknown or a crew position was unfilled (some boats sail with 3 crew, some with 4 crew).

Anyway, I currently have 12 Sailwave files for this season, likely increasing to about 18-20 files by season’s end – one file for each race day, as well as one file for each of the various combinations of races that make up the four series (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Season Overall). I have edited the “season overall series” file with a few of the crew names that I know and now would like to propagate those new entries into all the prior daily and series files and re-publish so the crew names appear in the results on our website.

So, manually editing each file is the only way I have found so far, but I was hoping someone in the users group had found a scheme to propagate new information into multiple files. I did just figure out the keyboard shortcut for copy and paste (running on a Mac under Wine), so maybe this will not be too bad to do manually.

—In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, <jon@…> wrote :

I’m curious - why would you want to update the old files?
How would you know which one to update if you have a name that doesn’t match exactly?

If you update them with different boat details or Sail numbers then it is not going to score correctly

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

···

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 16:52, mdb561@… [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Has anyone found a way from within Sailwave to revise the competitor data in multiple existing Sailwave files without manually editing the data in each file? For example, we have a dozen or more race files generated during the season, and each file stores the competitor data used by it. For us, the competitors come from the same list of boats. I would like to update, say the various crew names and addresses, once and then somehow merge the newly revised information into each of the already existing files. Has anyone found a way to do this from within Sailwave?