[sailwave] Finishing apps

Hello,

We’ve been using sailwave successfully for a few seasons , largely with finish places not finish times.

I’m wondering which apps people use to record finish places on water for direct import into sailwave in multi class racing of off the beach boats? We have a multi race format with mixed fleets and different starts.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Regards

Malcolm

Adelaide, South Australia

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, 4 August 2019 10:56 PM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Won’t publish on new computer but same file will publish on the old computer.

Hi,

The key bit of information is new computer. Your problem could be one of several things and not necessarily a Sailwave problem. I am presuming your new computer is running Microsoft Windows 10.

Where are you trying to publish the results from Sailwave to?

• Sailwave web site

• club web site via FTP

Starting with Sailwave, please try the following. Go to Setup | Global options and click the FTP tab. In the window that appears check the final box and try publishing results. I know it says “… leave unchecked if you are not sure”.

Next if you are using Windows 10 do you get any warning messages about Sailwave being blocked? If so you need to say to the firewall let Sailwave through.

If publishing to a club web site via FTP, can you connect using either FTP in a command window or using a graphical FTP client like FileZilla or CuteFTP. If so please try the same as setting as above on the FTP tab of Setup | Global options.

Kind regards,

Huw

On 04/08/2019 14:08, c.i.waite@btinternet.com [sailwave] wrote:

I have an old Toshiba computer which I used until the beginning of this year when the hinge broke and made transporting it impossible. I now have a new HP Pavilion computer which I am not sure has ever managed to publish a sailwave file for me. I have just spent ages tranfering information from the new computer to the old one and it publishes the results fine. I then transferred the file from the old one to the new one via a usb stick but the file will still not publish. I was previously using the same version of sailwave on both computers but now have updated the new one to the latest version. I have had no success in publishing files in either version on this computer. Help!! We have an interclub race next week and I need to be able to publish!

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hi Malcolm,

Very pleased to hear about your successful use of Sailwave.

I have used Sailwave on the water to do results and send  them to

the Internet using my phone hotspot facility. But the results were
first recorded on paper.

There are several apps available for both Android & iOS as

you seem to be aware. I have not used this one, DSRC - Dinghy
Sailing Race Control [],
but it seems to regularly maintained. The following is from the
overview page:

The result is the Dinghy Sailing Race Control (DSRC) app
(Android only I’m afraid), which:

•     Has no theoretical

fleet size limit, although your device will run out of memory
    eventually, and I guess the app response time would slow down
    :o)
  •     Import different

fleets as required
  •     Run Single start

races, Multi-Fleet rolling starts races, and now also Pursuit
    and RC (Radio Controlled) races
  •     Export results in

Postscript (.pdf), Sailwave compatible (.csv), and HAL
    compatible spreadsheet (.xls)
  •     Share competitor

and results file externally, to other compatible apps, or sent
    over network (including Sailwave series file)
  •     It can also

(experimentally) drive a Bluetooth or WiFi remote relay module,
    to enable synchronised external ‘horn’ signals
    I do plan to try the above out.

All best in finding a solution that works for you.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

https://sites.google.com/view/dsrc/overview
On 04/08/2019 23:47, ‘malcolm hughes’
[sailwave] wrote:

mhughes@adelaide.on.net

Hello,

We’ve

been using sailwave successfully for a few seasons ,
largely with finish places not finish times.

I’m

wondering which apps people use to record finish
places on water for direct import into sailwave in
multi class racing of off the beach boats? We have a
multi race format with mixed fleets and different
starts.

Thank

you for any recommendations.

Regards

Malcolm

Adelaide,

South Australia

[] Sunday, 4 August 2019 10:56 PM
Re: [sailwave] Won’t publish on
new computer but same file will publish on the old
computer.

Hi,

The key bit of information is new computer. Your

problem could be one of several things and not
necessarily a Sailwave problem. I am presuming
your new computer is running Microsoft Windows 10.

Where are you trying to publish the results from

Sailwave to?

• Sailwave web site
  • club web site via FTP
    Starting with Sailwave, please try the following.
    Go to Setup | Global options and click the FTP
    tab. In the window that appears check the final
    box and try publishing results. I know it says
    “… leave unchecked if you are not sure”.
                  Next if you are using Windows 10 do you get any

warning messages about Sailwave being blocked? If
so you need to say to the firewall let Sailwave
through.

If publishing to a club web site via FTP, can you

connect using either FTP in a command window or
using a graphical FTP client like FileZilla or
CuteFTP. If so please try the same as setting as
above on the FTP tab of Setup | Global options.

Kind regards,

Huw

On 04/08/2019 14:08, c.i.waite@btinternet.com
[sailwave] wrote:

I have an old Toshiba computer which I used

until the beginning of this year when the
hinge broke and made transporting it
impossible. I now have a new HP Pavilion
computer which I am not sure has ever managed
to publish a sailwave file for me. I have
just spent ages tranfering information from
the new computer to the old one and it
publishes the results fine. I then
transferred the file from the old one to the
new one via a usb stick but the file will
still not publish. I was previously using the
same version of sailwave on both computers but
now have updated the new one to the latest
version. I have had no success in publishing
files in either version on this computer.
Help!! We have an interclub race next week
and I need to be able to publish!

Virus-free.

www.avast.com

sailwave@yahoogroups.commailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Sent:
**To:**sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject:

Hello,

We started to Trial DSRC this season for multiple class Dinghy events only, it is early days but the initial feedback is promising, I will update this forum when we have more inputs.

Thx

JohnW

Hi Malcom,

I have not used any app to actually finish a race. I have not had the luxury of being able to do a paper recording and try any of the apps. I have only tested the DSRC on a touch screen.

I have looked at DSRC and it appears to be attractive. It works by having a list of competitors on the screen sorted by their PY rating. You then touch the competitor to get a lap or finish position and time. If you make a mistake it is slow to correct that finisher. I am not sure how you would get on doing quick searches for competitors a couple of screens down the list, when there is a close finish.

TopYacht. I have not looked at the finishing module for several years. I believe there will be a cost to using it. This is an Australian system that is cloud based. It can do everything from collect nominations to calculating results. From memory it displays a group of competitors that it predicts are going to finish, and you just select the competitor. From memory it has both place and time. I believe the results can be exported to a CSV file.

Regatta Toolbox. Again this is a cloud based system which I have not looked at for several years. It will cost to use it. I think this system is out of the US. Again it has a list of competitors in predicted finish order, by selecting the competitor to finishing that competitor. Last time I looked it only did finish order. This system would not export nominations to a CSV file. I do not know about results.

There is a new app that I used as a messaging service that I believe has a finish module. It is called MYSAILINGCLUB. https://www.mysailingclub.com.au/

At the last major regatta that I scored, there was a serious read / write problem, (the scorers could not read the writing that came into the race office, and previously to that the whole scoring team had been sea sick when doing the scoring on the water).

I have decide that the best system for me is to have the person calling the finish to have a mobile phone with a second mobile phone in the race office where a paper copy and one of the apps could be used.

I believe you can load all the apps on a trial basis and do some testing to get an idea what might suit you.

I developed an Macro in Excel which you entered the sail number then when you pressed enter it recorded the time and sail number. I had difficult reading the screen and it required a paper backup as it could not be edited on the go.

I know another club that uses a time clock that has a printout so they just record the finish places and line up the times with places later.

Having looked at the others I am a committed sailwave user.

I hope this helps.

Regards JohnL.

···

Sent: Monday, 5 August 2019 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Finishing apps

Hi Malcolm,

Very pleased to hear about your successful use of Sailwave.

I have used Sailwave on the water to do results and send them to the Internet using my phone hotspot facility. But the results were first recorded on paper.

There are several apps available for both Android & iOS as you seem to be aware. I have not used this one, DSRC - Dinghy Sailing Race Control [https://sites.google.com/view/dsrc/overview], but it seems to regularly maintained. The following is from the overview page:

The result is the Dinghy Sailing Race Control (DSRC) app (Android only I’m afraid), which:

• Has no theoretical fleet size limit, although your device will run out of memory eventually, and I guess the app response time would slow down :o)

• Import different fleets as required

• Run Single start races, Multi-Fleet rolling starts races, and now also Pursuit and RC (Radio Controlled) races

• Export results in Postscript (.pdf), Sailwave compatible (.csv), and HAL compatible spreadsheet (.xls)

• Share competitor and results file externally, to other compatible apps, or sent over network (including Sailwave series file)

• It can also (experimentally) drive a Bluetooth or WiFi remote relay module, to enable synchronised external ‘horn’ signals

I do plan to try the above out.

All best in finding a solution that works for you.

Kind regards,

Huw

On 04/08/2019 23:47, ‘malcolm hughes’ mhughes@adelaide.on.net [sailwave] wrote:

Hello,

We’ve been using sailwave successfully for a few seasons , largely with finish places not finish times.

I’m wondering which apps people use to record finish places on water for direct import into sailwave in multi class racing of off the beach boats? We have a multi race format with mixed fleets and different starts.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Regards

Malcolm

Adelaide, South Australia

Sent: Sunday, 4 August 2019 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Won’t publish on new computer but same file will publish on the old computer.

Hi,

The key bit of information is new computer. Your problem could be one of several things and not necessarily a Sailwave problem. I am presuming your new computer is running Microsoft Windows 10.

Where are you trying to publish the results from Sailwave to?

• Sailwave web site
  • club web site via FTP

Starting with Sailwave, please try the following. Go to Setup | Global options and click the FTP tab. In the window that appears check the final box and try publishing results. I know it says “… leave unchecked if you are not sure”.

Next if you are using Windows 10 do you get any warning messages about Sailwave being blocked? If so you need to say to the firewall let Sailwave through.

If publishing to a club web site via FTP, can you connect using either FTP in a command window or using a graphical FTP client like FileZilla or CuteFTP. If so please try the same as setting as above on the FTP tab of Setup | Global options.

Kind regards,

Huw

On 04/08/2019 14:08, c.i.waite@btinternet.com [sailwave] wrote:

I have an old Toshiba computer which I used until the beginning of this year when the hinge broke and made transporting it impossible. I now have a new HP Pavilion computer which I am not sure has ever managed to publish a sailwave file for me. I have just spent ages tranfering information from the new computer to the old one and it publishes the results fine. I then transferred the file from the old one to the new one via a usb stick but the file will still not publish. I was previously using the same version of sailwave on both computers but now have updated the new one to the latest version. I have had no success in publishing files in either version on this computer. Help!! We have an interclub race next week and I need to be able to publish!

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

If you are looking for a ‘One Sop Shop’ I offer a number of Race management solutions that may be of interest.

Direct load into Sailwave and auto web publishing is available too.

Take a look at:

https://www.sailracesystems.com/

Ian

Hi Malcolm,

I few people have mentioned DSRC free on Android, for close finishes it offers 2 solutions.

1. If a multi lap race, tap boat on each Lap then a quick sort and boats are in position on water (so pretty much in the order they will finish

2. the Search facility will pop each boat searched for at Top of list ready for finish.

You can also edit finish times if required.

The only issue I’m struggling with is using a tablet in bright sunshine on an open Rib. Its fine if shaded of in a race box.

Keith