Skiff Personal Handicap

Has anyone scored an event using the Australian Skiff handicap system?

I was able to score the event but need to manually change the race handicaps after each race. Could the handicap adjustments be done using Sailwave?

Below is how the handicap is applied and adjusted based upon results.

1. A handicap in minutes is assigned to each boat prior to the series.

2. The scratch boats’ handicap is 0.

3. A boats corrected time is elapsed time – (rating * 60)

4. If there are two races on the same day a boats corrected time is elapsed time – (rating * 60/2)

5. A boats handicap for the next race the handicap in minutes is reduced by

• 3 minutes for 1st place
  • 2 minutes for 2nd place
  • 1 minute for 3rd place
  1. If there are two races on the same day a boats handicap for the next race the handicap in minutes is reduced by
  • 1.5 minutes for 1st place
  • 1 minutes for 2nd place
  • 0.5 minute for 3rd place
  1. When, after the handicap adjustment is applied, a boat’s handicap becomes negative all boats handicap will be increased so that the lowest handicap is 0.

Hi Mark,
The short answer to your question is probably yes.

You will need to create a custom spreadsheet using the default RYA NHC and/or Irish Sailing ECHO spreadsheets installed with Sailwave, as a starting point for getting to know what information is required. Then asking Jon nicely :slight_smile: for help if needed.

Suggest you use the very latest version of Sailwave v2-33-0 available for download under Beta downloads. I have been using it for several weeks with no issue yet.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Mark,

Could you perhaps supply some sample data/calculations

Handicap modifications can usually be done with the custom external mode of NHC

If you can send me a file you use for scoring I’ll make some suggestions

Regards

Jon

Do you want me to send them to the forum or directly to you?

Hi Mark

If you are happy to send to everyone by all means send to the forum. If you would like to keep them private you can email me Jon @ Sailwave.com

Attached is a csv file containing all the results and the initial race 1 handicap.

I tried loading the race rating from the spreadsheet but the new race rating didn’t seem to get picked up.

Corrected time = ( elapsed time – (handicap * 60) )

Below is how the handicap is applied and adjusted based upon results.

(Attachment 2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Times.csv is missing)

2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Times.blw (162 KB)

The CSV file with the finish times was rejected.

Hi Mark

Would you like to try the csv again - hopefully it will work now

Jon

Mark Townsend
Mobile/WhatsApp: +1 (562) 533-5909
Email: s_mark_townsend@hotmail.commailto:s_mark_townsend@hotmail.com

2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Times.csv (15.1 KB)

2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Times.blw (162 KB)

Hi Mark,

Thanks have the files now. Although I don’t understand how you said you managed to score the series
As the blw doesn’t have any custom rating system defined

The attached file I’ve modified to have the custom rating that you specified ( I hope)
the Skiffs are scored as scratch and the Shiff Handicap is scored using the custom rating system
I’ve manually changed the ratings for R2. So the first two races should be correct

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
With the Ratings changing after each race. Unfortunately as it has a custom rating Sailwave can’t currently pass this to Excel for adjustments of ratings but I could add that in if that is what you want

Please check the file attached

Jon

2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Times Jon.blw (195 KB)

I am using Aliases for the handicap scoring and applied the handicap to the 18ft Skiff Handicap Fleet.

I then manually updated the racing rating for the first 2nd and third place boats.

Hi Mark
Thank you but that didn’t appear in the file you sent originally
Perhaps you sent me the wrong file?
Or have I done something wrong

Bed time now since its hour past Midnight

Jon

Apologies… I sent you the previous working version. Attached is the one with the custom handicap.

The 18ft Skiff fleet is scored as one design. The 18ft Skiff Handicap fleet are aliases of the 18ft Skiff fleet and scored using the custom handicap.

For races 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 the

• Corrected Time = Elapsed Time – (Rating/60)
  • The rating is changed by 3.0, 2.0, and 1.0 for first, second and third.

On two race days the races are shorter so only 50% of the handicap is applied. Race 3 and 4 were sailed on the same day as were races 5 and 6. For races 3, 4, 5 and 6 the

• Corrected Time = Elapsed Time – ((Rating/2)/60)
  • The rating is changed by 1.5, 1.0, and 0.5 for first, second and third.

2024_JJ_Giltinan_18ft_Skiff_Results_Handicap.blw (196 KB)