Start times

Hi
A fairly simple question I suspect. We have 4 fleets starting at 3-minute intervals. Can I set up Sailwave so that I only have to enter the start time once and it will automatically adjust for each fleet?

Regards

John

Hi John,

Short answer yes :wink:

To do so right click race column header and select edit race. Then

set up the 4 starts and configure the appropriate competitor
selection for each start.

If you need addition help then ask me.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 09/07/2018 10:46, John Lee
[sailwave] wrote:

johndlee01280@gmail.com

Hi
A fairly simple question I suspect. We have 4 fleets
starting at 3-minute intervals. Can I set up Sailwave so
that I only have to enter the start time once and it
will automatically adjust for each fleet?

Regards

John

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hi John,

You would have to set the starts up something like this

image.png

There is no way you can say the first fleet starts at 11:00 and the others go in 3 minute intervals

How would Sailwave know the order they go in. and what happens if you have a general recall etc.

Having said that once you have set up one race you can use the copy starts to copy the configuration to other races and quickly edit any changes

Regards

Jon

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&)
                09/07/18, 11:33:32
···

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Jon
I think I get that but was just looking for an easy life.

I currently enter elapsed times which are supposed to be calculated by the race team. Unfortunately, their arithmetic skills are not often up to the job so I have to recalculate them. I find using start and finish times a bit unwieldy, more digits, more opportunity for errors hence my question.

OOD’s tend to be human and like to do things their own way, so not all starts are at 11.00 and some like to ignore the clock and use a stopwatch. I was hoping that there might be someway of having a start time of say “T” and then editing the various fleets of T+3 etc, so that all I would have to do is enter a value for T.

99% of the time the sequence is followed so the occasional, deviation would have to be edited. Our OOD’s avoid general recalls like the plague!

Sounds as though I’m asking a bit much but thought it was worth asking the question.

Regards

John

···

On 9 July 2018 at 11:33, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi John,

There is no way you can say the first fleet starts at 11:00 and the others go in 3 minute intervals

How would Sailwave know the order they go in. and what happens if you have a general recall etc.

Having said that once you have set up one race you can use the copy starts to copy the configuration to other races and quickly edit any changes

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 10:46, John Lee johndlee01280@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi
A fairly simple question I suspect. We have 4 fleets starting at 3-minute intervals. Can I set up Sailwave so that I only have to enter the start time once and it will automatically adjust for each fleet?

Regards

John

Hi John,
Now I’m confused - you just said you use elapsed time and don’t like Start and Finish times but you were asking for Start times that auto incremented.

I could consider allowing you to specify first start plus x but I’m not sure its worth the complexity. It is easier to check the start times match that of the results if they are absolute

Regards

Jon

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

09/07/18, 14:18:44
···

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

On 9 July 2018 at 11:33, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi John,

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 10:46, John Lee johndlee01280@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi

Regards

John

Ok. Sorry for the confusion. I can do without complexity so we will leave it there.
Thanks for the response.

Regards

John

···

On 9 July 2018 at 14:36, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi John,
Now I’m confused - you just said you use elapsed time and don’t like Start and Finish times but you were asking for Start times that auto incremented.

I could consider allowing you to specify first start plus x but I’m not sure its worth the complexity. It is easier to check the start times match that of the results if they are absolute

Regards

Jon
Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

09/07/18, 14:18:44

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 14:13, John Lee johndlee01280@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon
I think I get that but was just looking for an easy life.

I currently enter elapsed times which are supposed to be calculated by the race team. Unfortunately, their arithmetic skills are not often up to the job so I have to recalculate them. I find using start and finish times a bit unwieldy, more digits, more opportunity for errors hence my question.

OOD’s tend to be human and like to do things their own way, so not all starts are at 11.00 and some like to ignore the clock and use a stopwatch. I was hoping that there might be someway of having a start time of say “T” and then editing the various fleets of T+3 etc, so that all I would have to do is enter a value for T.

99% of the time the sequence is followed so the occasional, deviation would have to be edited. Our OOD’s avoid general recalls like the plague!

Sounds as though I’m asking a bit much but thought it was worth asking the question.

Regards

John

On 9 July 2018 at 11:33, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups…com> wrote:

Hi John,

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Mailtrack

Sender notified by

Hi

Regards

John

Hi Johns,

This was similar to a request I suggest to John E directly , I think a numbe r of clubs use rolling starts with just a single timmer. One possible option is maybe to alow the for a adjustment option the fleet starts section.

So for John E it would be -3, -6 -9 mins that way it can either be taken off start time or Elapsed time. For me it would be -5,-10 etc.

That would allow for the OOD just to record the time on the clock without adjustment and in my case allow the app to to collect unadjusted elapsed racetimes for each start.

We would have adjust for Gen Recalls but all races would have the same adjustment indepentant of race start time.

I did test with race start time, but on import the real time in the file overrides the start race time but do get adjusted if the start time is edited after import.

I suspect this would require alot of work though.

Hope this make sense

Keith