TCF and analyse ratings

We are playing with the handicap system a bit .

What is the best way to use a fixed c = r * e system ? I have tried custom and IRC and I see that over a series the rate value for a given sailor changes.

I was not expecting that - the file was originally NHC but I changed the Rating System.

Another question related - if I wanted to export the “rates” for a given season is there a way to do that so we could apply some stats to the rates (if we are using an adaptive system).

Many thanks

Boris.

Hi Boris - Welcome to the Sailwave User Group
To answer your question TCF is a fixed rating system however - Sailwave does allow you to modify the rating for

• A specific race only
  • A specific race and all subsequent races until it is changed

If you edit a result you have the ability to modify the rating for the race and optionally subsequent races. The way that NHC works is that it sets these ratings based on the results of previous races. If you subsequently decide to change the rating system after having scored it using NHC these ratings will still be present so if you want to change it back to TCF you will need to clear these ratings manually
It is not as time consuming as you would at first think.
select the first competitor in the race you want to clear and edit the result such that you have as shown above - Now press using the Keyboard
Backspace-Enter-Down-Enter
this will clear the rating and display the next one so just repeat the above and they will all be cleared

NHC is the default adaptive system but you can customise this to do anything you wish. If you come back with what your aim is to do - I will happily advise on the easiest way of achieving it.

As for exporting the easyway is probably to use the File-Export to Clipboard

You can also include race columns (HINT - select the detail of the race column you want to export by pressing F6 and then the selection before you export)
Open a blank Excel or similar tool and paste in the clipboard - you can then manipulate all the data as you wish
Look forward to hearing what you would like to do

Jon

Many thanks Jon - I was not expecting an answer on a Sunday - that was just the information I was looking for , perfect -

I had missed the interim ratings created by NHC.

To expand a bit on what I am trying to do:

In our club racing we use P-ECHO, which is Progressive ECHO - as a result we have a number of seasons for base ratings.

This decides our main club prizes.

As I understand P-ECHO it functions like any adaptive system within the regular pool of club racers, so it becomes “calibrated” to the club over time and the rating applies to boat + crew.

We are trying to see is there a way to introduce an additional prize based on how well a person sails their boat design (on just the boat criteria).

We do not have IRC ratings and would not be able to pay for measuring boats etc.

So we thought could we somehow use our club ratings or the NHC ratiings (whch are average ratings for a design + crew) and come up with this other boat design metric and find out what we can learn about that.

Boris.