TLE (Time Limit Expired)

Some classes use TLE (Time Limit Expired) as a scoring abbreviations for boats that are still racing after the finish window expires. The Sunfish class uses TLE and I had a couple interesting scoring situations which might be of interest to you. Below are the 2018 Sunfish Worlds TLE instructions:

15.2 Boats still racing 15 minutes after the first boat sails the course and finishes, and not thereafter retiring, being penalized or given redress, will be scored Time Limit Expired (TLE, see Scoring) without a hearing. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5, and A11.

17.6 A boat scored TLE will be scored points equal to the number of boats finishing within the time limit plus two points, but not worse than DNF. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5 and A11.

The important thing is to make sure that the Sailwave scoring codes properties are configured correctly. It turns out that both the UFD and BFD
scoring codes don’t have the correct property set. It’s easy to change the property by checking the checkbox that “This code implies that the boat finished the race” for both BFD and UFD scoring codes. The TLE points will be incorrect if you don’t do this and you have BFD/UFD results.

In the first race of the event we had two TLE scores. Also, in that race we had two RDG scores for rendering assistance. The jury decided that the one boat would have finished outside the finish window time limit even if she hadn’t rendered assistance and awarded her RDG points equivalent to the TLE points. The other boat would have finished within the time limit and received RDG points based on a mark rounding position.

Because the RDG points affected the TLE points, I needed two RDG scoring codes; one with the boat finished property and one without. I used RDGf and RDGnf.

Here is a link to the results: http://jpvm.org/results/2018/ISCA_Worlds/results.html

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Interesting and I fully understand why you need the two RDG codes but I just checked Sailwave and both UFD and BFD are configured to be that they did not finish the race, which I would consider to be correct - Do you think I’m wrong?

Regards

Jon

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 16/10/18, 15:52:40
···

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Jon,

OCS, BFD and UFD boats are considered finished most of the time. The test is if they meet the definition of finish. Exceptions would be with keelboats if the RC radios the boats and informs them of their UFD/BFD score and the boats stop racing. Same for dinghy fleets when OCS/BFD/UFD boats are notified at the windward mark and pull out of the race. A RET score could be considered as finished if the boat retired after finishing. This retirement is different from an Appendix P2.3 retirement.

The good thing is that Sailwave has the functionality to make it all work.

Cheers,

Peter

···

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Peter,

Interesting and I fully understand why you need the two RDG codes but I just checked Sailwave and both UFD and BFD are configured to be that they did not finish the race, which I would consider to be correct - Do you think I’m wrong?

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 16/10/18, 15:52:40

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 15:20, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Some classes use TLE (Time Limit Expired) as a scoring abbreviations for boats that are still racing after the finish window expires. The Sunfish class uses TLE and I had a couple interesting scoring situations which might be of interest to you. Below are the 2018 Sunfish Worlds TLE instructions:

15.2 Boats still racing 15 minutes after the first boat sails the course and finishes, and not thereafter retiring, being penalized or given redress, will be scored Time Limit Expired (TLE, see Scoring) without a hearing. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5, and A11.

17.6 A boat scored TLE will be scored points equal to the number of boats finishing within the time limit plus two points, but not worse than DNF. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5 and A11…

The important thing is to make sure that the Sailwave scoring codes properties are configured correctly. It turns out that both the UFD and BFD
scoring codes don’t have the correct property set. It’s easy to change the property by checking the checkbox that “This code implies that the boat finished the race” for both BFD and UFD scoring codes. The TLE points will be incorrect if you don’t do this and you have BFD/UFD results.

In the first race of the event we had two TLE scores. Also, in that race we had two RDG scores for rendering assistance. The jury decided that the one boat would have finished outside the finish window time limit even if she hadn’t rendered assistance and awarded her RDG points equivalent to the TLE points. The other boat would have finished within the time limit and received RDG points based on a mark rounding position.

Because the RDG points affected the TLE points, I needed two RDG scoring codes; one with the boat finished property and one without. I used RDGf and RDGnf.

Here is a link to the results: http://jpvm.org/results/2018/ISCA_Worlds/results.html

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes - Events I tend to score are either Dingy or Windsurfing and in these, a BFD or UFD boats/boards would not continue the race and would not finish the race.

As you said the good thing is Sailwave allows you to configure it however you wish it to be. The only thing that concerned me was the sentence you wrote " It turns out that both the UFD and BFD scoring codes don’t have the correct property set. " which made me think I had programmed the default incorrectly so I thought while its fresh in my mind I would update the source but I think the default should be left as it currently is.

I’ve just purchased Clarion 11 and have compiled Sailwave with this and we now have a Touch enabled version of Sailwave so if you have a touch screen you can scroll it around using touch. Needs some testing before I release it fully.

Jon Eskdale

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 16/10/18, 17:17:37
···

07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Peter,

My 2 cents worth. In my view OCS, BFD & UFD

did not start correctly and therefore cannot finish correctly!
However, finish definition makes no mention of having started
correctly!

From RRS Definitions:

Start * A boat
starts when, having been entirely on the
pre-start side of the starting line at or
after her starting signal, and having
complied with rule 30.1 if it applies, any
part of her hull, crew or equipment
crosses the starting line in the direction
of the first mark.*

Finish * A boat
finishes when any part of her hull, or
crew or equipment in normal position,
crosses the finishing line from the course
side. However, she has not finished if
after crossing the finishing line she* (a) takes a penalty under rule 44.2, * (b) corrects an error under rule 28.2
made at the line, or* © continues to sail the course.

One for submission for advice from Racing Rules

Committee :wink:

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 16/10/2018 17:10, Peter van Muyden
[sailwave] wrote:

pvanmuyden@gmail.com

Hi Jon,

OCS, BFD and UFD boats are considered finished most

of the time. The test is if they meet the definition of
finish. Exceptions would be with keelboats if the RC
radios the boats and informs them of their UFD/BFD score
and the boats stop racing. Same for dinghy fleets when
OCS/BFD/UFD boats are notified at the windward mark and
pull out of the race. A RET score could be considered
as finished if the boat retired after finishing. This
retirement is different from an Appendix P2.3
retirement.

The good thing is that Sailwave has the functionality

to make it all work.

Cheers,

Peter

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Jon

Eskdale jon@sailwave.com
[sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com >
wrote:

Hi Peter,

Interesting and I fully understand

why you need the two RDG codes but I
just checked Sailwave and both UFD and
BFD are configured to be that they did
not finish the race, which I would
consider to be correct - Do you think
I’m wrong?

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender
notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&)
                                                                                  16/10/18,

15:52:40

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at

15:20, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com
wrote:

Some classes

use TLE (Time Limit
Expired) as a scoring
abbreviations for boats
that are still racing
after the finish window
expires. The Sunfish
class uses TLE and I had a
couple interesting scoring
situations which might be
of interest to you. Below
are the 2018 Sunfish
Worlds TLE instructions:

•                                                  15.2 Boats

still racing 15
minutes after the
first boat sails
the course and
finishes, and not
thereafter
retiring, being
penalized or given
redress, will be
scored Time Limit
Expired (TLE, see
Scoring) without a
hearing. This
changes RRS 35,
A4, A5, and A11.*

•                                                17.6 A boat

scored TLE will be
scored points equal
to the number of
boats finishing
within the time
limit plus two
points, but not
worse than DNF.
This changes RRS 35,
A4, A5 and A11…*

The important thing is to

make sure that the Sailwave
scoring codes properties are
configured correctly. It
turns out that both the UFD
and BFD
scoring codes don’t have the
correct property set. It’s
easy to change the property
by checking the checkbox
that * “This code implies
that the boat finished the
race”* for both BFD
and UFD scoring codes. The
TLE points will be incorrect
if you don’t do this and you
have BFD/UFD results.

In the first race of

the event we had two TLE
scores. Also, in that
race we had two RDG scores
for rendering assistance.
The jury decided that the
one boat would have
finished outside the
finish window time limit
even if she hadn’t
rendered assistance and
awarded her RDG points
equivalent to the TLE
points. The other boat
would have finished within
the time limit and
received RDG points based
on a mark rounding
position.

Because the RDG points

affected the TLE points, I
needed two RDG scoring
codes; one with the boat
finished property and one
without. I used RDGf and
RDGnf.

Here is a link to the

results: http://jpvm.org/results/2018/ISCA_Worlds/results.html

Cheers,

Peter

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hi Jon,

How would a boat/board in your events know that they were OCS, BFD or UFD? I guess that 99% of the OCS, BFD or UFD scored boats wouldn’t know their score until after they finished. Even at the SWC events boats that are OCS/UFD/BFD are not notified at the windward mark. The only time a BFD boat knows that they were BFD if there was a general recall during a black flag start and she was listed on the RC board prior to the restart. (RRS 30.4)

Peter

···

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Peter,

Yes - Events I tend to score are either Dingy or Windsurfing and in these, a BFD or UFD boats/boards would not continue the race and would not finish the race.

As you said the good thing is Sailwave allows you to configure it however you wish it to be. The only thing that concerned me was the sentence you wrote " It turns out that both the UFD and BFD scoring codes don’t have the correct property set. " which made me think I had programmed the default incorrectly so I thought while its fresh in my mind I would update the source but I think the default should be left as it currently is.

I’ve just purchased Clarion 11 and have compiled Sailwave with this and we now have a Touch enabled version of Sailwave so if you have a touch screen you can scroll it around using touch. Needs some testing before I release it fully.

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 16/10/18, 17:17:37

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 17:11, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

OCS, BFD and UFD boats are considered finished most of the time. The test is if they meet the definition of finish. Exceptions would be with keelboats if the RC radios the boats and informs them of their UFD/BFD score and the boats stop racing. Same for dinghy fleets when OCS/BFD/UFD boats are notified at the windward mark and pull out of the race. A RET score could be considered as finished if the boat retired after finishing. This retirement is different from an Appendix P2.3 retirement.

The good thing is that Sailwave has the functionality to make it all work.

Cheers,

Peter

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Peter,

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 15:20, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

17.6 A boat scored TLE will be scored points equal to the number of boats finishing within the time limit plus two points, but not worse than DNF. This changes RRS 35, A4, A5 and A11…

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Huw,

You answered your own question, the definition of finish doesn’t mention starting. You might be interested in Q&A 2015-12 Here is the link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yamoze55lrlbhk/Q%26A%202015.012.pdf?dl=0

The Q&A has expired, but is still valid.

Peter

···

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Huw Pearce huw.pearce@bcs.org.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Peter,

My 2 cents worth. In my view OCS, BFD & UFD

did not start correctly and therefore cannot finish correctly!
However, finish definition makes no mention of having started
correctly!

From RRS Definitions:

Start * A boat
starts when, having been entirely on the
pre-start side of the starting line at or
after her starting signal, and having
complied with rule 30.1 if it applies, any
part of her hull, crew or equipment
crosses the starting line in the direction
of the first mark.*

Finish * A boat
finishes when any part of her hull, or
crew or equipment in normal position,
crosses the finishing line from the course
side. However, she has not finished if
after crossing the finishing line she* (a) takes a penalty under rule 44.2, * (b) corrects an error under rule 28.2
made at the line, or* © continues to sail the course.

One for submission for advice from Racing Rules

Committee :wink:

Kind regards,

Huw

On 16/10/2018 17:10, Peter van Muyden > pvanmuyden@gmail.com [sailwave] wrote:

Hi Jon,

OCS, BFD and UFD boats are considered finished most

of the time. The test is if they meet the definition of
finish. Exceptions would be with keelboats if the RC
radios the boats and informs them of their UFD/BFD score
and the boats stop racing. Same for dinghy fleets when
OCS/BFD/UFD boats are notified at the windward mark and
pull out of the race. A RET score could be considered
as finished if the boat retired after finishing. This
retirement is different from an Appendix P2.3
retirement.

The good thing is that Sailwave has the functionality

to make it all work.

Cheers,

Peter

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Jon > > Eskdale jon@sailwave.com > >                     [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com                    > > > wrote:

Hi Peter,

Interesting and I fully understand

why you need the two RDG codes but I
just checked Sailwave and both UFD and
BFD are configured to be that they did
not finish the race, which I would
consider to be correct - Do you think
I’m wrong?

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender
notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&)
                                                                                  16/10/18,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at > > > 15:20, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com > > >                                 [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com                                > > > > wrote:
                                          Some classes

use TLE (Time Limit
Expired) as a scoring
abbreviations for boats
that are still racing
after the finish window
expires. The Sunfish
class uses TLE and I had a
couple interesting scoring
situations which might be
of interest to you. Below
are the 2018 Sunfish
Worlds TLE instructions:

•                                                  15.2 Boats

still racing 15
minutes after the
first boat sails
the course and
finishes, and not
thereafter
retiring, being
penalized or given
redress, will be
scored Time Limit
Expired (TLE, see
Scoring) without a
hearing. This
changes RRS 35,
A4, A5, and A11.*

•                                                17.6 A boat

scored TLE will be
scored points equal
to the number of
boats finishing
within the time
limit plus two
points, but not
worse than DNF.
This changes RRS 35,
A4, A5 and A11…*

The important thing is to

make sure that the Sailwave
scoring codes properties are
configured correctly. It
turns out that both the UFD
and BFD
scoring codes don’t have the
correct property set. It’s
easy to change the property
by checking the checkbox
that * “This code implies
that the boat finished the
race”* for both BFD
and UFD scoring codes. The
TLE points will be incorrect
if you don’t do this and you
have BFD/UFD results.

In the first race of

the event we had two TLE
scores. Also, in that
race we had two RDG scores
for rendering assistance.
The jury decided that the
one boat would have
finished outside the
finish window time limit
even if she hadn’t
rendered assistance and
awarded her RDG points
equivalent to the TLE
points. The other boat
would have finished within
the time limit and
received RDG points based
on a mark rounding
position.

Because the RDG points

affected the TLE points, I
needed two RDG scoring
codes; one with the boat
finished property and one
without. I used RDGf and
RDGnf.

Here is a link to the

results: http://jpvm.org/results/2018/ISCA_Worlds/results.html

Cheers,

Peter

Virus-free. www.avast.com

I confess to not being the correct person to answer that question. As it’s many years now since I’ve raced seriously on the water, but there is an individual recall flag. But what I do know, is what I see on the race sheets where there is a list of OCS’s which have been listed and then crossed out where they have gone back and rounded the ends to clear themselves, and those that are marked as BFD very rarely have a finish position - so many do know. Yes fully agree there are some that think there weren’t OCS when they were but I doubt it is 99%. And then there is the question of if they didn’t start correctly can they be counted as finishing. I’ll leave this to the experts to discuss. All I’m interested in is that Sailwave works correctly. So for the time being I’ll leave it as it is while others discuss it. As you correctly said its very easy for the scorer to change this if they need to.

Jon

Mailtrack
Sender notified by

[Mailtrack](https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality6&) 16/10/18, 18:16:18
···

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233

Hi Peter,

Yes I did answer my own question :-), but as I said my view is it

is wrong. However, your link is most helpful and shows I am wrong
in my view.

It also shows to my mind that Sailwave default for BFD, OCS &

UFD is wrong if boats identified as such, finish
the course. As you said in the original message.

Good to exchange views.

Kind regards,

Huw

···

On 16/10/2018 17:54, Peter van Muyden
[sailwave] wrote:

pvanmuyden@gmail.com

Hi Huw,

You answered your own question, the definition of

finish doesn’t mention starting. You might be
interested in Q&A 2015-12 Here is the link to
it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yamoze55lrlbhk/Q%26A%202015.012.pdf?dl=0

The Q&A has expired, but is still valid.

Peter

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Huw Pearce

huw.pearce@bcs.org.uk
wrote:

Hi Peter,

My 2 cents worth. In my view

OCS, BFD & UFD did not start correctly
and therefore cannot finish correctly!
However, finish definition makes no mention
of having started correctly!

From RRS Definitions:

** Start*** A boat starts
when, having been
entirely on the
pre-start side of the
starting line at or
after her starting
signal, and having
complied with rule
30.1 if it applies,
any part of her hull,
crew or equipment
crosses the starting
line in the direction
of the first mark.*

** Finish*** A boat finishes
when any part of her
hull, or crew or
equipment in normal
position, crosses the
finishing line from
the course side.
However, she has not
finished if after
crossing the finishing
line she* * (a) takes a
penalty under rule
44.2,* * (b) corrects an
error under rule 28.2
made at the line, or* * © continues to
sail the course.*

One for submission for advice

from Racing Rules Committee :wink:

Kind regards,

Huw

On

16/10/2018 17:10, Peter van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com
[sailwave] wrote:

Hi Jon,

OCS, BFD and UFD boats are considered

finished most of the time. The test is
if they meet the definition of finish.
Exceptions would be with keelboats if
the RC radios the boats and informs them
of their UFD/BFD score and the boats
stop racing. Same for dinghy fleets
when OCS/BFD/UFD boats are notified at
the windward mark and pull out of the
race. A RET score could be considered
as finished if the boat retired after
finishing. This retirement is different
from an Appendix P2.3 retirement.

The good thing is that Sailwave has

the functionality to make it all work.

Cheers,

Peter

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at

8:57 AM Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com
wrote:

Hi

Peter,

Interesting and I

fully understand why you
need the two RDG codes
but I just checked
Sailwave and both UFD
and BFD are configured
to be that they did not
finish the race, which I
would consider to be
correct - Do you think
I’m wrong?

Regards

Jon

Jon Eskdale

“eskdale”

Mailtrack
Sender
notified by

16/10/18,

On Tue, 16

Oct 2018 at 15:20, Peter
van Muyden pvanmuyden@gmail.com
wrote:

Some

classes use
TLE (Time
Limit Expired)
as a scoring
abbreviations