Trying to import competitors from Excel

Hi. Sorry if this has been discussed ad infinitum, but Ive been through previous answers and am still having problems.
I have a list of 74 competitors details on an excel spreadsheet.
Ive saved this as a csv file complete with row 1 being headers.
Im using a macbook air running maverick and sailwave 2_28_1 with winebottler 1.8.6

I start Sailwave and create new series with 74 competitors and 8 races.
I go to File-Import competitors from csv file
Select the correct file
CSV file field names displays the field names and also BLANK and then competitor details.
Press Next
The csv field names are are mapped to the correct sailwave field, the BLANKs are mapped ignore and the competitor details (Only 7 competitors details showing) are "not Mapped)
If I Press Next now it says “some fields are not mapped to sailwave fields. Please complete mappings”
Ignore remaining unmapped fields
Next
Finish
Headings are imported and added to headings already there by default but no competitor details
Where am I going wrong?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you having difficulties importing you competitor data.

First thing to note is you do not need to create your competitors before import. You have to have at least one competitor when you create the series but that is all. When you come to import there is a checkbox option to delete any existing competitors.

For the competitor fields that are marked “Not mapped” you have to right click and select from the list that appears the Sailwave field you want them mapped to or click the ignore all not mapped button. This probably because the column header names are not exactly the same as Sailwave field names…

I hope tha helps but if not if you send me the Sailwave you ar etrying to import to and the the CSV file I will take a look.
Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Huw
Thanks for replying so quickly. Id be pulling my hair out if I had any.
How do I send the files to you?
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
Please use huw@sailwave.com

Kind regards,
Huw

Thanks Huw
Sent
Dave

Hi Dave,
Email on the way to you with answer. But for others I will document here.

The problem Dave has been having with importing, from the CSV file he created using Microsoft Excel on an Apple Mac system, is because the file is not compatible with Sailwave for some reason. Sailwave is seeing the data in the CSV file Dave created as one long line of text, aka one row of headers which is why Dave was seeing competitor data listed in the import from a CSV file mapping window for mapping.

I now need to look a tthe CSV file Dave sent in more detail using a hex dump program.

Kind regards,
Huw

Thanks for your help Huw.
Yes, when I saved it as a “windows csv file” I was able to import ithe competitors correctly.
Cheers
Dave

Sounds like a line end problem. You might want to investigate how Sailwave (or more probably the libraries you use) treats line ends that are not the PC convention cr/lf.
Or, of course, just issue advice to save in Windows format…

Hi JimC,
Yes it is a line end problem. MacOS by default uses different one to default on Windows system. Fixed by using Save as “Windows CSV” in Excel on MacOS.

I have updated but not published the Sailwave User Guide & Reference Manual with a warning about this.
Kind regards,
Huw