Uploading via ftp

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing problems uploading results files from sailwave to their clubs website via the ftp upload/publish function within sailwave?

Mine was working fine until a week or so ago. I asked our club website guru if any of our passwords/permissions had changed and he said nothing has.

I was then contacted by another member of our club who uploads results to the same folder but for different fleets and he said he has lost access too.

Could there have been an update to Windows or something like that which would block the file being sent though I am using Windows 10 and the other Windows 7? When I follow the publish command through I do still get the dialogue box that says connection established, but then another box that states there was an error sending file.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

More likely to be the club server if multiple people with different OS’s have an issue.

There have been some issues with Windows 10 in that Microsoft at one stage set the Firewall to default to blocking without prompting at one stage although I believe that they have now changed it to prompt when a new App is blocked. So its worth checking the Windows firewall is set to prompt. And that Sailwave is in the allowed list (Advanced settings)

Also check that there are no other third party firewalls installed

Jon

···

On 13 June 2016 at 12:23, chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing problems uploading results files from sailwave to their clubs website via the ftp upload/publish function within sailwave?

Mine was working fine until a week or so ago. I asked our club website guru if any of our passwords/permissions had changed and he said nothing has.

I was then contacted by another member of our club who uploads results to the same folder but for different fleets and he said he has lost access too.

Could there have been an update to Windows or something like that which would block the file being sent though I am using Windows 10 and the other Windows 7? When I follow the publish command through I do still get the dialogue box that says connection established, but then another box that states there was an error sending file.

Thanks,

Chris

Jon Eskdale
07530 112233

Skype “eskdale”

Chris

I have been having a very similar problem – I could upload results from my old (Windows 7) PC, but not from my new (Windows 10) PC. I found it was the setting for my McAfee firewall that was the problem. It was initially set to “Designated Ports” for Sailwave, but changing it to “Open to All Devices” solved the problem.

Regards

Martin

Martin Gibson

The Foundout, Wheatley

01865 873150

···

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 13 June 2016 12:24
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sailwave] Uploading via ftp

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

I have been having a very similar problem – I could upload results from my old (Windows 7) PC, but not from my new (Windows 10) PC. I found it was the setting for my McAfee firewall that was the problem. It was initially set to “Designated Ports” for Sailwave, but changing it to “Open to All Devices” solved the problem.

Regards

Martin
···

Martin Gibson

The Foundout, Wheatley

01865 873150

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

I think I’m “the other club member” Chris, if so I think Matt in Training can still upload as he’s been doing mine for the past couple of months since mine stopped!

To my mind this does tend to indicate that it’s a remote user based issue and not a club server one.

···

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:53:17 +0100
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Uploading via ftp

Martin,

Thanks. I don’t have Mcafee firewall, only the Windows one and can’t see a setting similar to open to all devices in there.

Will keep trying, it’s really frustrating as I don’t think I’ve changed anything and with the other club member having similar experiences I’d hoped it was at the clubs website end as Jon alluded to but they don’t think it is.

So stuck in the middle at the mo trying to get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Chris

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:15, ‘Martin Gibson’ martin@foundout.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Chris

Regards

Martin

Martin Gibson

The Foundout, Wheatley

01865 873150

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chris

A simple test is to change clients. There used to be a CLI implementation in Windows - Start > Run > command, then in the black console box type ftp. However, if you prefer a non-text-only interface, check out https://winscp.net/eng/docs/free_ftp_client_for_windows . I think it gives fairly detailed troubleshooting logs about what failed when it can’t connect (but I can’t check right now, since I’m on a Mac). WinSCP has a pretty extensive set of documentation about what kind of error messages it prints out when it has problems.

If two people and three clients are having issues, then as Jon has said, that’s more likely the other end; I’d ask the folks who admin the server to test with the account you’re using, and make sure it works with the same client (ie, WinSCP). Trade screenshots of configuration options etc.

···

On 2016-06-13 15:53, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] wrote:

Martin,

Thanks. I don’t have Mcafee firewall, only the Windows one and can’t see a setting similar to open to all devices in there.

Will keep trying, it’s really frustrating as I don’t think I’ve changed anything and with the other club member having similar experiences I’d hoped it was at the clubs website end as Jon alluded to but they don’t think it is.

Try disabling the Windows firewall to see if it makes a
difference.

···
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei South Africa
   On 2016-06-13 16:53, Christopher Gandy

[sailwave] wrote:

Martin,

Thanks. I don't have Mcafee firewall, only the Windows

one and can’t see a setting similar to open to all devices
in there.

Will keep trying, it's really frustrating as I don't

think I’ve changed anything and with the other club member
having similar experiences I’d hoped it was at the clubs
website end as Jon alluded to but they don’t think it is.

So stuck in the middle at the mo trying to get to the

bottom of it.

Regards,

Chris

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:15, 'Martin Gibson'
          [sailwave] <>

wrote:

Chris

I

have been having a very similar problem – I
could upload results from my old (Windows 7) PC,
but not from my new (Windows 10) PC. I found
it was the setting for my McAfee firewall that
was the problem. It was initially set to
“Designated Ports” for Sailwave, but changing it
to “Open to All Devices” solved the problem.

Regards

Martin

Martin

Gibson

The

Foundout, Wheatley

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ]

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing problems

uploading results files from sailwave to
their clubs website via the ftp
upload/publish function within sailwave?

Mine was working fine until a week or so

ago. I asked our club website guru if any of
our passwords/permissions had changed and he
said nothing has.

I was then contacted by another member of

our club who uploads results to the same
folder but for different fleets and he said
he has lost access too.

Could there have been an update to Windows

or something like that which would block the
file being sent though I am using Windows 10
and the other Windows 7? When I follow the
publish command through I do still get the
dialogue box that says connection
established, but then another box that
states there was an error sending file.

Thanks,

Chris

Virus-free. www.avast.comchrisgandy@me.com
martin@foundout.netsailwave@yahoogroups.com

I just did a test upload to the club site for the first time since installing windows 10. A firewall message popped up so i clicked ‘public’ and ‘private’ then ‘OK’ - Sailwave crashed. Restart - publish - worked OK.

···

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Try disabling the Windows firewall to see if it makes a

difference.

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Rondevlei South Africa
  On 2016-06-13 16:53, Christopher Gandy

chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] wrote:

Martin,

Thanks. I don't have Mcafee firewall, only the Windows

one and can’t see a setting similar to open to all devices
in there.

Will keep trying, it's really frustrating as I don't

think I’ve changed anything and with the other club member
having similar experiences I’d hoped it was at the clubs
website end as Jon alluded to but they don’t think it is.

So stuck in the middle at the mo trying to get to the

bottom of it.

Regards,

Chris

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:15, 'Martin Gibson' martin@foundout.net
          [sailwave] <sailwave@yahoogroups.com              >

wrote:

Chris

I

have been having a very similar problem – I
could upload results from my old (Windows 7) PC,
but not from my new (Windows 10) PC. I found
it was the setting for my McAfee firewall that
was the problem. It was initially set to
“Designated Ports” for Sailwave, but changing it
to “Open to All Devices” solved the problem.

Regards

Martin

Martin

Gibson

The

Foundout, Wheatley

[mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com ]

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing problems

uploading results files from sailwave to
their clubs website via the ftp
upload/publish function within sailwave?

Mine was working fine until a week or so

ago. I asked our club website guru if any of
our passwords/permissions had changed and he
said nothing has.

I was then contacted by another member of

our club who uploads results to the same
folder but for different fleets and he said
he has lost access too.

Could there have been an update to Windows

or something like that which would block the
file being sent though I am using Windows 10
and the other Windows 7? When I follow the
publish command through I do still get the
dialogue box that says connection
established, but then another box that
states there was an error sending file.

Thanks,

Chris

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Cheers,

Colin J

http://op12no2.me

Hi Marcellus,

Nope, Andy who does the solos was working a week or so ago and now isn’t. About when mine stopped. He’s on Windows 7, I’m running 10 so it doesn’t look like a Windows update knocked it out necessarily.

Chris

···

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:56, Marcellus Pryor rempryor@hotmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I think I’m “the other club member” Chris, if so I think Matt in Training can still upload as he’s been doing mine for the past couple of months since mine stopped!

To my mind this does tend to indicate that it’s a remote user based issue and not a club server one.

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:53:17 +0100

Martin,

So stuck in the middle at the mo trying to get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Chris

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:15, ‘Martin Gibson’ martin@foundout.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Chris

Regards

Martin

Martin Gibson

The Foundout, Wheatley

01865 873150

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chris

Duncan,

If I ask sailwave to publish to a file instead of via ftp I can then send the file via my ftp client (FileZilla) to the same directory sailwave is pointed at on the clubs website using the exact same username and password with no errors.

Chris

···

On 13 Jun 2016, at 16:00, ‘Duncan Hill (Flickr)’ flickr@cricalix.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Martin,

A simple test is to change clients. There used to be a CLI implementation in Windows - Start > Run > command, then in the black console box type ftp. However, if you prefer a non-text-only interface, check out https://winscp.net/eng/docs/free_ftp_client_for_windows . I think it gives fairly detailed troubleshooting logs about what failed when it can’t connect (but I can’t check right now, since I’m on a Mac). WinSCP has a pretty extensive set of documentation about what kind of error messages it prints out when it has problems.

If two people and three clients are having issues, then as Jon has said, that’s more likely the other end; I’d ask the folks who admin the server to test with the account you’re using, and make sure it works with the same client (ie, WinSCP). Trade screenshots of configuration options etc.

It’s just a thought but I think ftp is slash dependent - i.e. folder\file for windows and folder/file for linux.

try publishing to the ftp root?

···

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Duncan,

If I ask sailwave to publish to a file instead of via ftp I can then send the file via my ftp client (FileZilla) to the same directory sailwave is pointed at on the clubs website using the exact same username and password with no errors.

Chris

On 13 Jun 2016, at 16:00, ‘Duncan Hill (Flickr)’ flickr@cricalix.net [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Martin,

Cheers,

Colin J

Colin,

I tried flipping the slashes but still nothing. I then tried deleting all the details for my club ftp site and replaced with my work one. Uploaded to work fine from sailwave directly which would, I assume, rule out that it’s a sailwave/my computer/my firewall issue.

I then re-entered my club ftp details in sailwave as they were before and now cannot even establish a connection, so I assume it is most likely a problem at club end as Jon suggested originally.

Regards,

Chris

···

Sent: 13 June 2016 16:45
To: Sailwave User Group

It’s just a thought but I think ftp is slash dependent - i.e. folder\file for windows and folder/file for linux.

Cheers,

Colin J

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Duncan,

Chris

Martin,

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12392 - Release Date: 06/09/16

hi chris, sounds like it. another test is to try and publish to the sailwave website - it uses ftp also - just with burned-in info.

···

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Colin,

I tried flipping the slashes but still nothing. I then tried deleting all the details for my club ftp site and replaced with my work one. Uploaded to work fine from sailwave directly which would, I assume, rule out that it’s a sailwave/my computer/my firewall issue.

I then re-entered my club ftp details in sailwave as they were before and now cannot even establish a connection, so I assume it is most likely a problem at club end as Jon suggested originally.

Regards,

Chris

Cheers,

Colin J

Duncan,

Chris

Martin,

Cheers,

Colin J

Colin,

Thanks that works too.

http://sailwave.com/results/2016_3rd_race_spring.htm

Regards,

Chris Gandy

···

Sent: 13 June 2016 17:01

hi chris, sounds like it. another test is to try and publish to the sailwave website - it uses ftp also - just with burned-in info.

Cheers,

Colin J

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Colin,

Regards,

Chris

Cheers,

Colin J

Duncan,

Chris

Martin,

Colin/John,

Apologies for bringing this up again but we are still trying to get to the bottom of why our clubs sailwave users can no longer upload results directly from sailwave. A quick question I have been asked to ask is whether the sailwave “publish results” command sends the files from the users IP address, or does it go via a sailwave IP address? We are wondering if our hosts have blocked some computer addresses for some reason and if so need to understand the route the files take I think.

Thanks,

Chris

···

Sent: 13 June 2016 17:04
Subject: RE: [sailwave] Uploading via ftp

Colin,

Thanks that works too.

Regards,

Chris Gandy

Cheers,

Colin J

Colin,

Regards,

Chris

Cheers,

Colin J

Duncan,

Chris

Martin,

Hi Chris,

It goes from the users IP address and uses the built-in Microsoft software to send it.

Feel free to give me a call or email me direct if I can help

Jon

···

On 20 June 2016 at 11:20, Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Colin/John,

Apologies for bringing this up again but we are still trying to get to the bottom of why our clubs sailwave users can no longer upload results directly from sailwave. A quick question I have been asked to ask is whether the sailwave “publish results” command sends the files from the users IP address, or does it go via a sailwave IP address? We are wondering if our hosts have blocked some computer addresses for some reason and if so need to understand the route the files take I think.

Thanks,

Chris

Sent: 13 June 2016 17:04
Subject: RE: [sailwave] Uploading via ftp

Colin,

Thanks that works too.

Regards,

Chris Gandy

Cheers,

Colin J

Colin,

Regards,

Chris

Cheers,

Colin J

Duncan,

Chris

Martin,

Jon Eskdale

03333 443377

07530 112233