Version 2.16.7

There is an announcement on the facebook Sailwave page that version 2.16.7 is now available for download.

There was recently a concern that NHC4 was flawed, esp. for small fleets. Has this been resolved?

···

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield South Africa

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

Hi Malcom,

Still awaiting the RYA on NHC 2014 - I did chase them earlier today and they promised to contact me on Monday to discuss. Sailwave calculates as per their (RYA) specification it is not something that I have specified. However Sailwave unlike any other system does allow you to customise the calculations by modifying the template. You can also see all the calculation and decide yourself if there is an issue. The problem in my opinion arises because the decision was made that they didn’t want the ratings of boats that didn’t sail to change. On the grounds it was hard to explain to someone that even though they hadn’t sailed their handicap rating had changed where as in my opinion they should but can understand why they don’t want this to happen. I pointed this out to them and their solution at the time was to specify that the minimum number of boats that must race is 3 before any changes are applied.

I decided to release 2.16.7 because it does contain a lot of other nice bits an pieces and you can still do NHC2013 with the old templates or if it is NHC2013 you specifically want you can still use 2.9.7

Jon

Hi Malcolm

Quite a few people asked me for my spreadsheet and more detailed commentary. No-one has come back to me saying they disagreed with my points. On the other hand no-one came back and said they agreed either! But, as Jon has said in his reply to you, he pointed out some issues to RYA at the outset.

What perhaps is relevant is that 3 people with RYA involvement, including Bas Edmonds, RYA Technical Manager, and another individual who I believe is the Chair of the RYA’s Portsmouth Yardstick Advisory Group also had the full spreadsheet and commentary, and have not reverted to me with an opinion. I’m assuming if I was fundamentally mistaken I would have been put in my place by now! I asked Bas where he’d got to on 3rd June and he replied the next day saying he was on holiday but hoped to look at my file and analysis and get back to me the following week. Not heard yet - I know the technical area is very busy - any update if you read this Bas?

Personally I’ve amended the external spreadsheet that sailwave uses to take out the realignment, but leave the process for dealing with outliers in place. This gave much better results when run against our Spring Series, and generated what I believe to be sound handicap progressions and we are using these to move from our Spring Series to our Summer Series. We’re going to leave these fixed for the Summer Series so that skippers who don’t like moving handicaps every race are slightly appeased while still capturing most of the benefits of a progressive system, which is indeed giving us some remarkably close results.

For new entrants, it is possible to realign their base list rating by the same proportion that the existing race group is out of line with their base ratings, which would enable the new boat to enter on an equitable basis. I consider it’s still necessary to have a full realignment, but perhaps only once a year. What I’m doing isn’t ideal but nowhere near as bad as the problem with the existing unamended NHC 2014 system which I’m still of the opinion is seriously flawed.

Hope this helps some readers.

Kind regards

Alan

···

On 19 Jun 2014, at 11:24, “Malcolm Osborne malcolmo@telkomsa.net [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

There is an announcement on the facebook Sailwave page that version
2.16.7 is now available for download.

There was recently a concern that NHC4 was flawed, esp. for small
fleets. Has this been resolved?

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield South Africa

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

While trying to edit my club’s page on the PYS website I discovered that the edit buttons which appear to the left of the class name do not work. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

George Morris

···

George,

Sorry, no but it has been flagged up a a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Chris

···

On 19 Jun 2014, at 22:02, “‘George Morris’ georgewhitleymorris@gmail.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

While trying to edit my club’s page on the PYS website I discovered that the edit buttons which appear to the left of the class name do not work. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

George Morris

Thanks. And I can’t upload any races because ‘there appears to be no dates with this races’ (grammatical errors as they appear on the prompt). Actually the races are dated, in the correct format. When trying the other method (sending via the plug in) I get a prompt offering to insert the race dates but when I click OK nothing happens. Yawn…

George

···

----- Original Message -----

Christopher Gandy chrisgandy@me.com [sailwave]

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] PYS Website gremlins

George,

Sorry, no but it has been flagged up a a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Chris

On 19 Jun 2014, at 22:02, “‘George Morris’ georgewhitleymorris@gmail.com > [sailwave]” <sailwave@yahoogroups.com > wrote:

While trying to edit my club's page on the PYS website I discovered that the edit buttons which appear to the left of the class name do not work. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

George Morris