Which rules apply?

May All be blessed, please enlighten about the following case,

A sailor (A) conduct a premature start, but he (A) did not know that she was premature and the race continued, when rounding mark 3 a collision with another boat (B) in which he (A) who make mistakes and don’t make penalty until the finish.

Aggrieved boat (B) in the case of the rounding buoy protesting the boat (A) is. The question which must be decided rules for boat (A)?, OCS or DSQ…???

Thanks

First, what is the scoring system? Under the Low Point in the rulebook
(and most systems out there) OCS and DSQ get the same number of points.
If they ARE different then whichever is worse should be the one that
applies and is shown (a boat should not benefit from being OCS or DSQ if
the opposite score would be worse).

If they are NOT different then the issue is not critical (as points
won't be impacted). Since a boat is OCS when scored by the RC then that
is what I would display until the PC has acted. 90% of the time once a
boat has been scored OCS the protest is usually dropped since if it
won't make any difference in the points no one usually wants to protest
except when there is damage. But, once a boat is DSQ as the result of a
hearing then I would change her score from OCS to DSQ at that point.

Art

···

On 5/2/2013 6:27 PM, Sugianto 6823 wrote:

A sailor (A) conduct a premature start, but he (A) did not know that she was premature and the race continued, when rounding mark 3 a collision with another boat (B) in which he (A) who make mistakes and don't make penalty until the finish.

Aggrieved boat (B) in the case of the rounding buoy protesting the boat (A) is. The question which must be decided rules for boat (A)?, OCS or DSQ..???

Thanks
...let's care about our earth

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8290 (20130502) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

This message may contain privileged/confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity addressed above. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

PT. Krakatau Steel accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

PT.Krakatau Steel, Jl Industri 5 Cilegon, Banten, Indonesia, www.krakatausteel.com

Thanks Art, so the rules applicable in the previous case, except under certain conditions subsequent more severe cases

Yap, we use the low point rules….

···

Best Regards

Sugianto

+628179967605

…let’s care about our earth

From: sailwave@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sailwave@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Art Engel
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 10:38 AM
To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Which rules apply?

First, what is the scoring system? Under the Low Point in the rulebook
(and most systems out there) OCS and DSQ get the same number of points.
If they ARE different then whichever is worse should be the one that
applies and is shown (a boat should not benefit from being OCS or DSQ if
the opposite score would be worse).

If they are NOT different then the issue is not critical (as points
won’t be impacted). Since a boat is OCS when scored by the RC then that
is what I would display until the PC has acted. 90% of the time once a
boat has been scored OCS the protest is usually dropped since if it
won’t make any difference in the points no one usually wants to protest
except when there is damage. But, once a boat is DSQ as the result of a
hearing then I would change her score from OCS to DSQ at that point.

Art

On 5/2/2013 6:27 PM, Sugianto 6823 wrote:

A sailor (A) conduct a premature start, but he (A) did not know that she was premature and the race continued, when rounding mark 3 a collision with another boat (B) in which he (A) who make mistakes and don’t make penalty until the finish.

Aggrieved boat (B) in the case of the rounding buoy protesting the boat (A) is. The question which must be decided rules for boat (A)?, OCS or DSQ…???

Thanks

Best Regards
Sugianto - Indonesia
+628179967605

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8290 (20130502) __________

This message may contain privileged/confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity addressed above. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately
if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

PT. Krakatau Steel accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

PT.Krakatau Steel, Jl Industri 5 Cilegon, Banten, Indonesia, www.krakatausteel.com

This message may contain privileged/confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity addressed above. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
email. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

Thanks

Even though Boat A is OCS, he is still Racing as defined in RRS. Assuming the foul at the mark between A and B was a violation of one of the rules included in Part 2 of RRS, Part 2 rules apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or have been racing.

The DSQ would apply. In my experience, though, the penalties have the same value and are not additive. So, it ends up being a distinction without a difference in result.

-rock-

···

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Regényi Zsolt zsolt.regenyi@gmail.com wrote:

OCS

Regényi Zsolt

zsolt.regenyi@gmail.com

On May 3, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Sugianto 6823 sugianto.6823@krakatausteel.com wrote:

Thanks

Best Regards

Sugianto - Indonesia

+628179967605

This message may contain privileged/confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity addressed above. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
email. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

We had a start-line situation a couple of months ago where a boat was barging, and then had contact (and a crew injury). We called the boat OCS because he was forced over the line, but the subsequent protest changed them to DSQ.

I'd leave it to the jury - all you can really do on the committee boat is call the OCS and wait for the protest to change it.

···

--- In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rock Kent <Rock@...> wrote:

Even though Boat A is OCS, he is still Racing as defined in RRS. Assuming
the foul at the mark between A and B was a violation of one of the rules
included in Part 2 of RRS, Part 2 rules apply between boats that are
sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, *are racing*, or
have been racing.

The DSQ would apply. In my experience, though, the penalties have the same
value and are not additive. So, it ends up being a distinction without a
difference in result.

-rock-

I’ve seen SIs where the score for OCS and DSQ may be the same but DSQ is not discardable and OCS is.

···

On 2013-05-04 14:00, Andy wrote:

We had a start-line situation a couple of months ago where a boat was barging, and then had contact (and a crew injury). We called the boat OCS because he was forced over the line, but the subsequent protest changed them to DSQ.

I’d leave it to the jury - all you can really do on the committee boat is call the OCS and wait for the protest to change it.

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, Rock Kent <Rock@…> wrote:

Even though Boat A is OCS, he is still Racing as defined in RRS. Assuming
the foul at the mark between A and B was a violation of one of the rules
included in Part 2 of RRS, Part 2 rules apply between boats that are
sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or
have been racing.

The DSQ would apply. In my experience, though, the penalties have the same
value and are not additive. So, it ends up being a distinction without a
difference in result.

-rock-

I’m with Andy: score is OCS (from the Race Officer acting for the Race Committee) unless the subsequent Protest Committee result is DSQ.
Mike
Lancing SC

···

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com, “Andy” wrote:

I’d leave it to the jury - all you can really do on the committee boat is call the OCS and wait for the protest to change it.

OCS v DSQ. In some events OCS attracts a time or a place penalty which is less than DSQ (eg the Round the Island Race). OCS can usually be scored without recourse to a protest hearing whereas DSQ usually cannot. They are therefore not the same thing and might not score the same. Thus the RO scores a boat OCS with whatever penalty is prescribed in the SIs but if someone wants him DSQ they have to protest. If the protest is upheld I guess DSQ is the score even if OCS and DSQ score the same. If the protest fails then the score is OCS. I suppose that in a perfect world the RO would inform the scorer of the OCS and after several hours the Protest Committee would inform the scorer of the DSQ. Any volunteers to score the Round the Island Race?

Rgds

George Morris

···

----- Original Message -----

Mike

Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:47 PM

Subject: [sailwave] Re: Which rules apply?

— In sailwave@yahoogroups.com , “Andy” wrote:

I’m with Andy: score is OCS (from the Race Officer acting for the Race Committee) unless the subsequent Protest Committee result is DSQ.
Mike
Lancing SC

Would someone remind me how to import the current PY list into my master series?

Ta,

George Morris

···

Rock Kent

Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 5:59 PM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] Which rules apply?

Even though Boat A is OCS, he is still Racing as defined in RRS. Assuming the foul at the mark between A and B was a violation of one of the rules included in Part 2 of RRS, Part 2 rules apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing , or have been racing.

The DSQ would apply. In my experience, though, the penalties have the same value and are not additive. So, it ends up being a distinction without a difference in result.

-rock-

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Regényi Zsolt zsolt.regenyi@gmail.com wrote:

OCS

Regényi Zsolt

zsolt.regenyi@gmail.com

On May 3, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Sugianto 6823 sugianto.6823@krakatausteel.com wrote:

Aggrieved boat (B) in the case of the rounding buoy  protesting the boat (A) is. The question which must be decided rules for boat (A)?, OCS or DSQ..???

Thanks

Best Regards
  Sugianto - Indonesia

+628179967605

...let's care about our earth

This message may contain privileged/confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity addressed above. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

PT.Krakatau Steel, Jl Industri 5 Cilegon, Banten, Indonesia, [www.krakatausteel.com](http://www.krakatausteel.com)

Save the csv file in a convenient directory (e.g. /Documents/Scoring) then in your SW file, in Setup/Global Options, set that path in Folders / My Ratings files

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield South Africa

···

On 2013/05/14 11:34, George Morris wrote:

Would someone remind me how to import the current PY list into my master series?
Ta,
George Morris

Malcombe,

Thanks for that. I have downloaded the PN csv from the website, saved it in my PY returns folder, gone to setup> global options> folders>my rating files and inserted the full file name. Now what ?- how do I get the PN to appear in the appropriate column in the series grid?

Rgds

George

···

Malcolm Osborne

Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:22 AM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] Importing PY list

Save the csv file in a convenient directory (e.g. /Documents/Scoring) then in your SW file, in Setup/Global Options, set that path in Folders / My Ratings files

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield South Africa

Ta,

George Morris

further to my last, I keep getting a prompt saying that my rating folder does not exist. It is probably a syntax thing and I have now given it an hour which is a lot longer than it would take to enter the PNs manually so I shall give up. Thanks for your attempted help!

rgds

George

···

Malcolm Osborne

Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:22 AM

Subject: Re: [sailwave] Importing PY list

regards,
Malcolm Osborne
Sedgefield South Africa

Ta,

George Morris