Personal handicap system

Hi

Within our sailing club we have to mixed ability fleets from beginners to experts. Rather than have bronze, silver, gold fleets, I was wondering if anyone has a simple system for providing rolling personal handicaps over the length of a race series of say 12 races.

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You can use the NHC scoring to do this, which is already built into Sailwave.

Give it a try

• Make a copy of the file
  • Change the rating system to RYA NHC
  • Rescore
  • Press F6 then R and you will see the ratings changed for each race
    A little bit of news is this will be launched (may be some fine tuning) as “PY Progressive” next year so lead the crowd and give it try now.

Jon

···

On 2 December 2014 at 19:38, James Ogg jamie18949@yahoo.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi

Within our sailing club we have to mixed ability fleets from beginners to experts. Rather than have bronze, silver, gold fleets, I was wondering if anyone has a simple system for providing rolling personal handicaps over the length of a race series of say 12 races.

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Jamie

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Jon, are you suggesting that the PY progressive will work on the dinghy PY system ? I’d love to have a go at it , if it will work.

Ian Crosby SC

Hi Ian,

Yes that is the idea - The current version of Sailwave will support it. If you want to try it create a set of Aliases and set their rating system to NHC and it should work. The idea is this will be called PY Progressive.

If you use the External debug system then you will see the PY numbers will get converted to their equivalent TCF for use in the standard template and then converted back to PY to go back in the Sailwave file. If it is popular may be we could create a template that uses PY numbers directly rather than converting them in the future.

Jon

···

On 7 December 2014 at 19:59, middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Jon, are you suggesting that the PY progressive will work on the dinghy PY system ? I’d love to have a go at it , if it will work.

Ian Crosby SC

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Oh dear Jon…

Your second paragraph has now foxed me ! whats an External debug ? I’d really love to try and use the progressive py. I’ve already started changing the PYs for our regular club boats, but some sailors are better than others and gain massively from the moved PYs.

Our Std lasers sail off 1108 , radials off 1110 and solos off 1124 which gives us some closer elapsed times. But then we have a 2.4m which has started to come out using 1248.

Ian

···

To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 14:08:12 +0000
Subject: Re: [sailwave] Re: Personal handicap system

Hi Ian,

Yes that is the idea - The current version of Sailwave will support it. If you want to try it create a set of Aliases and set their rating system to NHC and it should work. The idea is this will be called PY Progressive.

If you use the External debug system then you will see the PY numbers will get converted to their equivalent TCF for use in the standard template and then converted back to PY to go back in the Sailwave file. If it is popular may be we could create a template that uses PY numbers directly rather than converting them in the future.

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

On 7 December 2014 at 19:59, middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Ian Crosby SC

Hi Ian,

RYA NHC (or similar version also to named PY Progressive) has 3 options when you select it in Sailwave.

• Option 1 - Internal where all calculations are done without using Excel
  • Advantage no Excel needed
  • Faster
  • Option 2 - External Debug where the calculations are done by Sailwave automatically passing the results to Excel into which it loads a preconfigure template with the calculation rules. Then automatically reading the new Rating/Handicap back into Sailwave
  • Advantage all the calculation can be seen and verified
  • But needs Excel and is slower
  • Option 3 - Custom External where the calculations are done by Excel as in option 2 but you supply your own template so the rules that are used to adjust the ratings are fully within your own control
  • This no longer conforms to NHC standard

Jon

···

On 8 December 2014 at 15:40, Ian middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Oh dear Jon…

Your second paragraph has now foxed me ! whats an External debug ? I’d really love to try and use the progressive py. I’ve already started changing the PYs for our regular club boats, but some sailors are better than others and gain massively from the moved PYs.

Our Std lasers sail off 1108 , radials off 1110 and solos off 1124 which gives us some closer elapsed times. But then we have a 2.4m which has started to come out using 1248.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Ian Crosby SC

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

So Jon,

Start a new series and copy my info in as aliases and then …

Sorry I’m playing on a mac now and have to use a pc for sailwave as the mac doesn’t retain any sailwave info when i close down.

Ian

···

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:50:55 +0000

Hi Ian,

RYA NHC (or similar version also to named PY Progressive) has 3 options when you select it in Sailwave.

• Faster
  • Option 2 - External Debug where the calculations are done by Sailwave automatically passing the results to Excel into which it loads a preconfigure template with the calculation rules. Then automatically reading the new Rating/Handicap back into Sailwave
  • Option 3 - Custom External where the calculations are done by Excel as in option 2 but you supply your own template so the rules that are used to adjust the ratings are fully within your own control

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

On 8 December 2014 at 15:40, Ian middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Oh dear Jon…

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Ian Crosby SC

Hi Ian,

If you want to have a play just make a copy of your existing blw file

Create aliases for boats you want to use the NHC(PY Progressive) - See the Video on this Group of how to do this easily

Set the rating system to NHC for the new fleet - internal is easiest and Rescore - thats all there is to it.

Jon

···

On 8 December 2014 at 16:09, Ian middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

So Jon,

Sorry I’m playing on a mac now and have to use a pc for sailwave as the mac doesn’t retain any sailwave info when i close down.

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Oh dear Jon…

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Ian Crosby SC

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Ian,

What are using to run Sailwave under on the Mac? I use WINE on Linux

to run Sailwave and it remembers all my Sailwave info. Will have to
install Excel under WINE and see if the NHC external mode works
under WINE; hadn’t thought to do�� this before!

I haven't heard of any of the other few using Sailwave on a Mac

reporting a similar issue.

Kind regards,
Huw
···

On 08/12/2014 16:09, Ian
[sailwave] wrote:

middies3@hotmail.co.uk

So �Jon,�

Start a new series and copy my info in as aliases and

then …

Sorry �I'm playing on a mac now and have to use a pc

for sailwave as the mac doesn’t retain any sailwave info
when i close down.

Ian

To: From: Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:50:55 +0000

This email has been checked for
viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

www.avast.com

sailwave@yahoogroups.com
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Hi Ian,

RYA NHC (or similar version�also �to

named PY Progressive) has 3 options when you
select it in Sailwave.�

•                               �Option 1 - Internal where all

calculations are done without using
    Excel
  • Faster
  •                               �Option 2 - External Debug where the

calculations are done by Sailwave
    automatically passing the results to
    Excel into which it loads a
    preconfigure template with the
    calculation rules. Then automatically
    reading the new Rating/Handicap back
    into Sailwave
  •                                 Advantage all the calculation can

be seen and verified
  •                               �Option 3 - Custom External where

the calculations are done by Excel as
    in option 2 but you supply your own
    template so the rules that are used to
    adjust the ratings are fully within
    your own control
  •                                 This no longer conforms to NHC

standard

Jon

Jon

Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

On 8 December

2014 at 15:40, Ian middies3@hotmail.co.uk
[sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

Oh dear

Jon…�

Your second paragraph

has now foxed me ! �whats
an External debug ? � �I’d
really love to try and use
the progressive py.� I’ve
already started changing
the PYs for our regular
club boats, but some
sailors are better than
others and gain massively
from the moved PYs.

Our Std lasers sail off

1108 , radials off 1110
�and solos off 1124 �which
gives us some closer
elapsed times. But then we
have a 2.4m which has
started to come out �using
1248.�

Ian

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014

14:08:12 +0000

Subject: Re: [sailwave]

Re: Personal handicap
system

�

Hi

Ian,

Yes that

is the idea -
The current
version of
Sailwave will
support it.�
If you want to
try it create
a set of
Aliases and
set their
rating system
to NHC and it
should work.�
The idea is
this will be
called PY
Progressive.

If you

use the
External debug
system then
you will see
the PY numbers
will get
converted to
their
equivalent TCF
for use in the
standard
template and
then converted
back to PY to
go back in the
Sailwave
file.� If it
is popular may
be we could
create a
template that
uses PY
numbers
directly
rather than
converting
them in the
future.

Jon

Jon

Eskdale
07976 709777

“eskdale”

On 7

December 2014
at 19:59, middies3@hotmail.co.uk
[sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

Jon, �
are you
suggesting
that the PY
progressive
will work on
the dinghy PY
system ? � I’d
love to have a
go at it , if
it will work.�

Ian

�Crosby SC

Hi Hew,

Using Wine bottler, thought I’d done it as per the latest instructions, but doesn’t play. It could be that the mac is running on 10.6.8 and needs to be upgraded. Not too brilliant on computers, usually muddle through. I’ll get to the Apple shop in Liverpool and use their genius bar soon, they’ve told me that they will have a look and see if they can upgrade and get it playing. There again, Its fine using the laptop pc for sailwave, so its dedicated to that…

Ian Crosby SC

Huw,

I don’t use Sailwave a lot. But I am using it on a Mac.

The application I used was called Winebottler, available free at http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

As to Excel, I use the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

And I’ve had no problem with exporting sailwave series info to the clipboard for pasting into the Mac version of Excel.

Regards,

Al Guardino

Great South Bay YRA Season Scoring Chair

Long Island, New York

···

On 08/12/2014 16:09, Ian [sailwave] wrote:

middies3@hotmail.co.uk

So Jon,

Ian

To: From:Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:50:55 +0000Subject: Re: [sailwave] Re: Personal handicap system

www.avast.com

sailwave@yahoogroups.com
sailwave@yahoogroups.com

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Oh dear Jon…

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

Hello Jon,

As the new race secretary for Abu Dhabi sailing club, I am trying to come up to speed. We previously have been using spreadsheets for scoring and I am looking for something better. I like Sailwave’s features, friendly interface and support.

We sail mixed fleets of single-hander (mostly Lasers) and double-handed dinghies (Kestrel and RS400) on many weekends through the year. There are six or seven club series over days which are usually non-consecutive.

We use the dinghy PN ratings to account for the performance of different classes of boat in each fleet. Also, to suit the different levels of sailing ability among members, some series are scored with progressive handicaps. A few series are scored twice, once with PN ratings only and once with progressive handicaps, with prizes for the best “scratch” and the best handicapped performances. There is usually also a series of pursuit races where the progressive handicaps are translated into individual start time increments.

I have studied Sailwave and generally get how to use it. I still have a few questions though, which I’ve chosen to put all together rather than in separate messages:

1.  When I scored a trial series using the “PY” scoring system, I found the results sheet shows ratings for each competitor that vary between races.  Sailwave is using the variable race rating to calculate the corrected times. This is not what I was expecting for PY scoring.  I expected a constant rating for each class of boat would be used in each race, i.e. CT=ET/PN.   For instance, the PN for the RS400 is 947.  Yet, in Race 11 RS400 Sail No. DHH22 has a rating of 0.974, 3% greater that the PN. I would like to know how to set up the scoring so the constant PN rating for each boat is applied to every race in the series? (Sorry Yahoo won't let me attach the blw file.)

2.  A progressive personal handicap “PH” has been popular in the past at ADSC. This PH is equivalent to NCH=PH*PN, where PN is the rating for each boat class and NCH is the progressive handicap calculated by Sailwave.  That is, PH is a progressive handicap calculated on the basis of PN corrected times rather than raw elapsed times.  In essence, PH reflects personal sailing ability after correction for boat performance.  For many competitors PH ranged from roughly 90% to 110%--lower numbers indicate greater skill in the fleet.  As this method appealed to members more than a single number which blends boat performance and personal skill, I would like to know whether anyone knows a convenient way of calculating PH and publishing it in the results?

3.  Last, I am interested in whether races sailed in different series can count toward the progressive handicap in Sailwave? For example, on one week the club sails races 1 & 2 in Series A, the next week races 1 & 2 in Series B, and the week after races 3 & 4 in Series A. Is there a way to base progressive handicaps on consecutive races in different series like this example?  Or do we need to live with separate handicaps for each series?

Sorry for writing so much and will be glad to have any advice you can offer on these three Qs.

Many thanks in advance

Ian Grant

ADSC race secretary

Hi Jon,

Curious about the personal handicap system scoring possibilities in Sailwave. We have been using the USS Portsmouth system. Of course some folks would like to use a personalized system (isn’t there always some degree of dissatisfaction with whatever rating system utilized?). At any rate, I do not see the RYA HHC or PY Progressive as options in the Rating Systems tab in Sailwave. Is that because I’m using an older version (v 2.02 build 6)?

Thanks,

Greg

Huw,

The application I used was called Winebottler, available free at http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

And I’ve had no problem with exporting sailwave series info to the clipboard for pasting into the Mac version of Excel.

Regards,

Al Guardino

Long Island, New York

···

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:02 AM, “‘Alphonse P. Guardino’ alphonse@optonline.net [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

On Dec 8, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Huw Pearce huw.pearce@bcs.org.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Ian,

What are using to run Sailwave under on the Mac? I use WINE on Linux to run Sailwave and it remembers all my Sailwave info. Will have to install Excel under WINE and see if the NHC external mode works under WINE; hadn’t thought to do this before!

I haven’t heard of any of the other few using Sailwave on a Mac reporting a similar issue.

Kind regards,
Huw

On 08/12/2014 16:09, Ian middies3@hotmail.co.uk [sailwave] wrote:

So Jon,

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Oh dear Jon… **

**Our Std lasers sail off 1108 , radials off 1110 and solos off 1124 which gives us some closer elapsed times. But then we have a 2.4m which has started to come out using 1248. **

Ian

**To: sailwave@yahoogroups.com
Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Jon, are you suggesting that the PY progressive will work on the dinghy PY system ? I’d love to have a go at it , if it will work. **

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

www.avast.com

Hi Greg,

Yes 2.02 is very old now - Just go and grab yourself the latest version from the Sailwave site. Have a play with the sample NHC in external mode and then you can modify the Excel template to perform the custom calculation

Jon

···

On 13 December 2014 at 20:03, greg krutzikowsky krutz_sky@yahoo.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

Curious about the personal handicap system scoring possibilities in Sailwave. We have been using the USS Portsmouth system. Of course some folks would like to use a personalized system (isn’t there always some degree of dissatisfaction with whatever rating system utilized?). At any rate, I do not see the RYA HHC or PY Progressive as options in the Rating Systems tab in Sailwave. Is that because I’m using an older version (v 2.02 build 6)?

Thanks,

Greg

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:02 AM, “‘Alphonse P. Guardino’ alphonse@optonline.net [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Huw,

Regards,

Al Guardino

Long Island, New York

On Dec 8, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Huw Pearce huw.pearce@bcs.org.uk [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Ian,

What are using to run Sailwave under on the Mac? I use WINE on Linux to run Sailwave and it remembers all my Sailwave info. Will have to install Excel under WINE and see if the NHC external mode works under WINE; hadn’t thought to do this before!

I haven’t heard of any of the other few using Sailwave on a Mac reporting a similar issue.

Kind regards,
Huw

So Jon,

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Oh dear Jon… **

**Our Std lasers sail off 1108 , radials off 1110 and solos off 1124 which gives us some closer elapsed times. But then we have a 2.4m which has started to come out using 1248. **

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Jon, are you suggesting that the PY progressive will work on the dinghy PY system ? I’d love to have a go at it , if it will work. **

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

www.avast.com

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Ian,

1. You must have something configure incorrectly as Sailwave will not normally change the PY across races for a standard PY scoring system. You can manually change them for such occasions where you might have a dingy sailing Single handed instead of Dual handed or a boat sailing with or without a spinnaker. If you post via email yahoo normally lets you attach a blw. But if you would like just email it to me jon@sailwave.com and I’ll have a look

2. The later versions of Sailwave support personal handicap based on the NHC rules however by supplying your own template you can specify the calculations to be used. Have a play with the NHC in external mode and then modify the template to your requirements. The latest Beta version can also publish the next rating that will be used along with the results. So I think Sailwave is capable of all your requirements

3. Yes you can import results from other series into a new series so you can then perform the Series calculations

Jon

···

On 13 December 2014 at 12:01, ian.grant12@gmail.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hello Jon,

As the new race secretary for Abu Dhabi sailing club, I am trying to come up to speed. We previously have been using spreadsheets for scoring and I am looking for something better. I like Sailwave’s features, friendly interface and support.

We sail mixed fleets of single-hander (mostly Lasers) and double-handed dinghies (Kestrel and RS400) on many weekends through the year. There are six or seven club series over days which are usually non-consecutive.

We use the dinghy PN ratings to account for the performance of different classes of boat in each fleet. Also, to suit the different levels of sailing ability among members, some series are scored with progressive handicaps. A few series are scored twice, once with PN ratings only and once with progressive handicaps, with prizes for the best “scratch” and the best handicapped performances. There is usually also a series of pursuit races where the progressive handicaps are translated into individual start time increments.

I have studied Sailwave and generally get how to use it. I still have a few questions though, which I’ve chosen to put all together rather than in separate messages:

1.  When I scored a trial series using the “PY” scoring system, I found the results sheet shows ratings for each competitor that vary between races.  Sailwave is using the variable race rating to calculate the corrected times. This is not what I was expecting for PY scoring.  I expected a constant rating for each class of boat would be used in each race, i.e. CT=ET/PN.   For instance, the PN for the RS400 is 947.  Yet, in Race 11 RS400 Sail No. DHH22 has a rating of 0.974, 3% greater that the PN. I would like to know how to set up the scoring so the constant PN rating for each boat is applied to every race in the series? (Sorry Yahoo won't let me attach the blw file.)

1.  A progressive personal handicap “PH” has been popular in the past at ADSC. This PH is equivalent to NCH=PH*PN, where PN is the rating for each boat class and NCH is the progressive handicap calculated by Sailwave.  That is, PH is a progressive handicap calculated on the basis of PN corrected times rather than raw elapsed times.  In essence, PH reflects personal sailing ability after correction for boat performance.  For many competitors PH ranged from roughly 90% to 110%--lower numbers indicate greater skill in the fleet.  As this method appealed to members more than a single number which blends boat performance and personal skill, I would like to know whether anyone knows a convenient way of calculating PH and publishing it in the results?

1.  Last, I am interested in whether races sailed in different series can count toward the progressive handicap in Sailwave? For example, on one week the club sails races 1 & 2 in Series A, the next week races 1 & 2 in Series B, and the week after races 3 & 4 in Series A. Is there a way to base progressive handicaps on consecutive races in different series like this example?  Or do we need to live with separate handicaps for each series?

Sorry for writing so much and will be glad to have any advice you can offer on these three Qs.

Many thanks in advance

Ian Grant

ADSC race secretary

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Ian,

1. You must have something configure incorrectly as Sailwave will not
normally change the PY across races for a standard PY scoring system. You
can manually change them for such occasions where you might have a dingy
sailing Single handed instead of Dual handed or a boat sailing with or
without a spinnaker. If you post via email yahoo normally lets you attach a
blw. But if you would like just email it to me jon@sailwave.com and I'll
have a look

2. The later versions of Sailwave support personal handicap based on the
NHC rules however by supplying your own template you can specify the
calculations to be used. Have a play with the NHC in external mode and then
modify the template to your requirements. The latest Beta version can also
publish the next rating that will be used along with the results. So I
think Sailwave is capable of all your requirements

3. Yes you can import results from other series into a new series so you
can then perform the Series calculations

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777
Skype "eskdale"

Hello Jon,

As the new race secretary for Abu Dhabi sailing club, I am trying to come
up to speed. We previously have been using spreadsheets for scoring and
I am looking for something better. I like Sailwave’s features, friendly
interface and support.

We sail mixed fleets of single-hander (mostly Lasers) and double-handed
dinghies (Kestrel and RS400) on many weekends through the year. There are
six or seven club series over days which are usually non-consecutive.

We use the dinghy PN ratings to account for the performance of different
classes of boat in each fleet.Also, to suit the different levels of
sailing ability among members, some series are scored with progressive
handicaps. A few series are scored twice, once with PN ratings only and
once with progressive handicaps, with prizes for the best “scratch” and the
best handicapped performances. There is usually also a series of pursuit
races where the progressive handicaps are translated into individual start
time increments.

I have studied Sailwave and generally get how to use it. I still have a
few questions though, which I've chosen to put all together rather than in
separate messages:

1.When I scored a trial series using the “PY” scoring system, I found
the results sheet shows ratings for each competitor that vary between races.Sailwave
is using the variable race rating to calculate the corrected times. This
is not what I was expecting for PY scoring. I expected a constant rating
for each class of boat would be used in each race, i.e. CT=ET/PN. For
instance, the PN for the RS400 is 947. Yet, in Race 11 RS400 Sail No.
DHH22 has a rating of 0.974, 3% greater that the PN. I would like to know
how to set up the scoring so the constant PN rating for each boat is
applied to every race in the series? (Sorry Yahoo won't let me attach the
blw file.)

2.A progressive personal handicap “PH” has been popular in the past at
ADSC. This PH is equivalent to NCH=PH*PN, where PN is the rating for each
boat class and NCH is the progressive handicap calculated by Sailwave. That
is, PH is a progressive handicap calculated on the basis of PN corrected
times rather than raw elapsed times. In essence, PH reflects personal
sailing ability after correction for boat performance. For many
competitors PH ranged from roughly 90% to 110%--lower numbers indicate
greater skill in the fleet. As this method appealed to members more than
a single number which blends boat performance and personal skill, I would
like to know whether anyone knows a convenient way of calculating PH and
publishing it in the results?

3.Last, I am interested in whether races sailed in different series can
count toward the progressive handicap in Sailwave? For example, on one
week the club sails races 1 & 2 in Series A, the next week races 1 & 2 in
Series B, and the week after races 3 & 4 in Series A. Is there a way to
base progressive handicaps on consecutive races in different series like
this example?Or do we need to live with separate handicaps for each
series?

Sorry for writing so much and will be glad to have any advice you can
offer on these three Qs.

Many thanks in advance

Ian Grant

ADSC race secretary

···

On 14 December 2014 at 05:49, Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave] < sailwave@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On 13 December 2014 at 12:01, ian.grant12@gmail.com [sailwave] < > sailwave@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Jon,

Wanted to follow up. I updated the version of sailwave, opened a series sailed last year, changed the rating system to RYC HHC and then tried to score it with the external/debug mode checked.Sailwave is expecting Excel, but I use the Open Office spreadsheet program. Is there are way to make it work with Open Office?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes 2.02 is very old now - Just go and grab yourself the latest version from the Sailwave site. Have a play with the sample NHC in external mode and then you can modify the Excel template to perform the custom calculation

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

···

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:37 PM, “Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

On 13 December 2014 at 20:03, greg krutzikowsky krutz_sky@yahoo.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

Thanks,

Greg

Huw,

Regards,

Al Guardino

Long Island, New York

Hi Ian,

Kind regards,
Huw

So Jon,

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Oh dear Jon… **

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

www.avast.com

Hi Greg,

For the external mode it is Excel only currently as it uses the COM automation of Excel.

Jon

···

On 16 January 2015 at 03:04, greg krutzikowsky krutz_sky@yahoo.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

Wanted to follow up. I updated the version of sailwave, opened a series sailed last year, changed the rating system to RYC HHC and then tried to score it with the external/debug mode checked.Sailwave is expecting Excel, but I use the Open Office spreadsheet program. Is there are way to make it work with Open Office?

Greg

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:37 PM, “Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Greg,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Jon,

Thanks,

Greg

Huw,

Regards,

Al Guardino

Long Island, New York

Hi Ian,

Kind regards,
Huw

So Jon,

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Oh dear Jon… **

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

www.avast.com

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

OK thanks.

Hi Greg,

For the external mode it is Excel only currently as it uses the COM automation of Excel.

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

···

On Friday, January 16, 2015 12:44 AM, “Jon Eskdale jon@sailwave.com [sailwave]” sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

On 16 January 2015 at 03:04, greg krutzikowsky krutz_sky@yahoo.com [sailwave] sailwave@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Jon,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype “eskdale”

Hi Jon,

Thanks,

Greg

Huw,

Regards,

Al Guardino

Long Island, New York

Hi Ian,

Kind regards,
Huw

So Jon,

Ian

Hi Ian,

• Faster

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

**Oh dear Jon… **

Ian

Hi Ian,

Jon

Jon Eskdale
07976 709777

Skype "eskdale"

Ian Crosby SC

www.avast.com

www.avast.com

I’ve run the progressive personal handicap now for a couple of months. The last series finished before the New Year and our Frostbite started Sunday gone.

I’m doing results using both " normal sailwave " and the “progressive”.

How do I figure our which handicap to use to start a new progressive series. The previous series had 26 races and the new will use 30 races weather permitting.

Ian