URL to go to World Sailing Sailor Profile

Does anyone know the correct string for getting the World Sailing website to go directly to a sailor’s profile? I’m finding that the default ( http://www.sailing.org/bio.asp?ID=*)

isn’t working.

I tried http://www.sailing.org/sailor?ref=* and I thought it was working, but found it was just going back to the same profile regardless of the ID.

TIA

Andy

Hi Andy,

Having done a little bit of investigation, I say that World Sailing have changed the way the look-ups are done. Also they have removed the pages describing the XRR upload of results.

The Sailwave World Sailing plug-in to check SailorID’s still seems to be working, sort of in that what used to come back as separate ‘first name’ and ‘last name’ now comes back as’ firstname-lastname’.

I will see if one of my contacts can get me information or point me to the person who knows what is going on.

Kind regards,
Huw

The XRR spec was there yesterday and the plug-in was retrieving the first and last names as expected yesterday as I demoed it to someone yesterday
So if it is not working today it t be a very recent change
Jon

That’s what I got. When I did a search on their site, I got a URL that was something like https://www.sailing.org/sailor/<firstname>-<lastname>?ref=<sailorid>. I thought I could just shorten it and leave out the firstname-lastname part, as there’s no way of knowing if a registrant is using exactly the same firstname-lastname in event registration as they used when they signed up for their sailorid with World Sailing. Unfortunately it didn’t work - it seemed to be sticky for the last search that was done. I suspect they are using a session cookie to save the last search, and then go back to it.

Thanks for checking. It’ll be interesting to see what they say.

Andy

(if you are talking to the developer, tell him he needs to clear the session cookie before the next search)

HI Andy & Jon,

:unamused: Unfortunately, the SailorID I used to check using the Sailwave WS plug-in was working correctly, it was the sailor who had entered information in an unusual way during their registration. When I tested again using a different SailorID, everything worked as I expected.

The XRR specification is still availble but I had to do an Internet search to find the link.

Andy message from Jon - "World sailing are currently in the process of up grading their servers and have been for some Time they have temporarily disabled some features such as uploading of results

They are supposed to let me know when they are ready to test but have not heard from them for months."

Kind regards,
Huw

Huw, are you able to get SWISAF.exe to work under WINE? Mine crashes.

Hi Andy,
Yes I have in the past. I will check my instructions still work and if they do let you have a copy of them.

Kind regards,
Huw

There is an additional .dll that is needed
I’m sure if you do a search here you’ll find it
Jon

Hi Andy,

Just tested using Sailwave v2-29-6 under openSUSE Tumbleweed fully patched with WINE v7.6 and yes it does still work.

Sailwave ISAF Plug-in on Linux.pdf (205.2 KB)

Kind regards,
Huw

LOL. Seems to be happening more often as I get older! I found the reference, answered by someone who was clearly very smart and I’m sure handsome as well! Errr… me!

Taking my own advice, we’ll see if it works.

Thanks for the pointer Jon.

Thanks. Tried it under WINE64 and I can’t seem to make it work, even after locating the 64 bit version of xmllite.dll.

I’ll keep hacking away iti.

Andy

Hi everyone following this thread,

VITAL piece of information the World Sailing plug-in must use the xmllite.dll from Windows 7. This is because of the internal ‘hooks’ in the DLL.

Sorry that I had not made this clear, I have updated my documentation this morning.

Kind regards,
Huw

Definitely using the Windows 7 version.

The crash message I’m getting talks about 32 bit calls. I think what I’ll do is set up a 32 bit Linux virtual machine and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

I have done some more testing on:

• Linux Mint 20.3 with WINE 7.0 from WineHQ repository
  • openSUSE Leap 15.3 with WINE 6.0 from Leap repository

Both set-ups give an error :frowning: So now need to see if the error log is the same or different.

So I do not know yet why my openSUSE Tumbleweed with WINE 7.7 from Tumbleweed repository works and the others don’t. The only thing I can think at the moment is that because it was working it has remained so through all the updates since. More investigation is required.

Kind regards,
Huw

Hi Andy,
I am still researching / investigating but came across the following on WineHQ forum:

Re: How to install an older version of wine

Post by saltbayfour » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 am

The simplest solution probably is to install Playonlinux

Playonlinux installs application in it’s own virtual drive where you can set which version of wine you want to use for that application (and easily change it if needed).

I have added Ubuntu 22.04 LTS in a VM to my testing environment but still need to test Sailwave with:

• WINE 6.0 from Ubuntu repository
  • WINE 7.0 from WineHQ repository

Huw

Hi SUG members,

Andy now has a working system :slight_smile:

He has also found that a newer XMLLITE.DLL works as well.

As a reminder Andy is using Linux Mint but I have tested the newer DLL on my openSUSE Tumbleweed system and it also works on that.

For information I did a screen recording of the install process I followed on a Linux Mint 20.03 LTS VM (Virtual Machine) to install WINE from WINEHQ repository, followed by installing Sailwave and XMLLITE.DLL to allow teh WS?ISAF plugin to work. If anyone is interested.

Kind regards,
Huw